1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake related problem lots of warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Andrew Casto, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Andrew Casto

Andrew Casto New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi there,

Weird problems with my 2006 prius. Car has 54,000 miles.

4 times now over the last year, during abnormal braking conditions (someone swerves over at me on highway and I have to break and swerve suddenly to avoid), I get multiple warning lights, and the warning buzzer. Yesterday this happened, and I got the red triangle, the red brake light, the abs light, and two new lights on the LCD display I've never seen before. I pulled over and began to slow down. The brakes felt stiff, and the vehicle started to loose acceleration power. LCD started resetting itself. I stopped the car, turned it off, and turned it back on to find everything normal. I then drove 200+ miles to my destination without incident.

This is the worst case of this problem yet. My 12v battery was replaced last year after the first of these issues, with similar symptoms, but no loss of acceleration. The tech said the only code in the system was a voltage spike, and thus thought it needed a new battery.

In every other case of the problem, I turn the car off and turn it back on, and it's fine. I'm about to drive 2000 miles next week, and want to avoid further issues... Any suggestions?

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds like ABS and VSC activation but must be more than this if the MFD give problems, some one with more knowledge will probably answer.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any codes? That would REALLY help w/the diagnosis.

4. Andrew Casto

Andrew Casto New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
    no codes yet - sorry - going to dealer in the morning.

5. Andrew Casto

Andrew Casto New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The service manager called - no codes in the car from the incident. He had a tech working with it most of the day trying to reproduce what happened, to no avail. They seem committed to trying to figure this out, which is good, but I fear I'll get sent home again with no answers. Thoughts from anyone?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. What tires are installed and how much tread depth remains on them? (If the tires are marginal, maybe you'll find that installation of new tires will allow improved handling without these symptoms occurring.)

2. Can you, at will, replicate this problem by braking and swerving, as if you were facing an emergency situation? If so, maybe you should take the dealer tech for a ride so that you can demonstrate the problem.

3. The fact that no skid control DTC was logged does imply that the ABS system was just activated to deal with your braking/swerving, and that the ABS light did not indicate a system problem.

4. Can you find highways to drive upon, where you don't have oncoming traffic that requires you to take these emergency measures 4x per year?? :)

7. Andrew Casto

Andrew Casto New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the suggestions Patrick - tires are a year old, maybe 5k miles on them... they are whatever the Toyota dealer recommended for the Prius. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head. I can't replicate the problem, and neither could the dealer, and both of us have tried multiple times. Seems like only getting cut off in traffic 4 times in a year really isn't so bad to me! The problem also happened the 3rd time while backing out of my driveway under normal conditions after the emergency brake was released, so it's possible that the swerving isn't the only time it triggers the problem.

Is it possible that something in the ABS system, or sensors, is just causing a system confusion issue? I also have a DICE unit installed... could that contribute to this?

This last incident was by far the worst, and the fact that the car lost acceleration, reset the multi function display a few times, and lost cruise control, all without any damage codes in the system, makes me pretty uncomfortable. Too much computerization in a car? I don't know. I love this car when it isn't having this problem, but I'm starting to be a little afraid of it... and so is my wife.

I'm headed to the dealer to pick it up. They don't have any answers for me either. Again, any help out there from the peanut gallery would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading the thread.

8. Andrew Casto

Andrew Casto New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
    any thoughts on the inverter coolant pump being the culprit here?

9. Andrew Casto

Andrew Casto New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
  10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This does not fit the symptoms for inverter cooling pump failure.

Losing cruise control is interesting. Think carefully: did you happen to notice the speedometer disappearing, reading zero, or other weirdness? And the emergency brake incident -- did it code right when you released it?

The DICE would be the first place to start, given the MFD rebooting. Inspect all wiring for loose connection. An intermittent short can create havoc, including triggering warning lights and even fail safe conditions that clear on the next power up.

11. Andrew Casto

Andrew Casto New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I

The speedometer didn't disappear when the cruise went out, but the further I drove, the more it seemed like the battery was dying - the warning buzzer started to get distorted.

The e-brake incident was less severe, with the buzzer, ABS, and brake lights on, and was resolved with a quick restart of the car.

I like the DICE theory... I haven't been able to get in there and check things out yet, but that's next on my list. A glove box clean out (where the unit is mounted) is in order anyway...

Thanks for giving it some thought!