1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake rotors get too hot

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mazen, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Mazen

Mazen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys!

I bought my car 2 months ago, prius 3 gen (7/2009) basic, it went 330000 km (it was as a taxi before), i noticed that there is a problem with the fuel consumption, it shows 6 to 5.5 litres per 100 km in best cases, and i felt that the car is not so fluent and speed
    So I went through all the consumption process, after each process and when I fail to get best performance, I get to next step:

1- I changes the spark plugs , with new double Iridium (by myself, it too a whole 3 hours after I learned that it is not that easy)

2- changed airfilter

3- inflated the tires well

4- changed the motor oil, (with magnetic)

5- changed the ATF fluid

6- changed the brake rotors and pads for front and back sides (because they were in so bad situation (especially the front side),
    And lubricated them at the contact sides from out and above and low with anti seize cream

But exactly after changing them began the problem, the rotors were so hot so that one can burn his fingers , (especially on front sides) and the whole car fells like jamming and consumption raised to 7.5 or 8

We tried again and again with each time lubricating the contact places of pads so they move freely, and pressing the pistons , the mechanic said that they press freely, and when putting gear on (N) the weels moved freely, but after driving the hot and jamming kept going , but the back axis is now so cold and seems there is no problem with it.

I tried with another mechanic , he said the same, that the weels move freely, but he changed the pads (from outer to inner and vice )

It became much better with left front (with tiny warm up), but with right front kept the same hot , but sometimes it becomes better

I googled the problem, and it seems that the problem is one of two things:
    * either the brake hose get kink from inside (with age and heat) , which makes difficult to brake fluid to return back , and thus needs to be change (and also with age and heat the hoses get corroded and a small rubber particles obstruct the brake tubes and also make the same problem)
    * Or the pistons are jamming and need to get cleaned from inside and lubricated and to get reconstructed

These two things reminded me with the deeply graved front rotors ( see picture) and more mileage consumption which makes sense in my case

My question is : what you think the problem is with?
    Pistons or hoses? Or something else?
    What would you recommend me to do (because i wasted so much for nothing)

Regards

2. Mazen

Mazen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These are the photos to the old and new rotors and pads

Attached Files:

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know too much about changing the brakes on a Prius, but I do remember reading somewhere about re-setting the computer and being careful with the pistons. There is a long string in here regarding changing the rotors and breaks, I would search for it. It will answer most of your issues.

Mazen likes this.
  4. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you tried checking the wheels and brakes dynamically? That is: front end up, tires and wheels off, in gear, observe turning and heat build-up. Buy a infrared heat gun and search hot spots. To me it sounds like brake pads are NOT retracting to their normal position. Isn't there also some provision in most braking system for the brake fluid to return to the main reservoir ( master cylinder ) thereby relieving pressure on wheel cylinders?

Mazen likes this.
  5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You may know, but you want to be very careful about exposing the system to air. There is a complicated air bleeding procedure that only the dealer can do.

6. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With that kind of mileage I would consider a total brake overhaul.

Mazen likes this.
  7. Mazen

Mazen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do i re-set the computer, I am afraid of getting another issues

8. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Disconnect the neg 12V Bat lead for a few seconds and then reconnect. This will not fix your brake problem.

9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With 330,000 Km, mechanical problems can occur, one almost guaranteed problem is dirt in all the cylinders, including the main. And hoses. No amount of lubrication from the outside will aid the brake cylinder in working and RETURNING to neutral. This was a taxi ! They drive erratically, brake hard, Etc.

Mazen likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Your situation sounds very similar to what tommerdoo experienced, so you probably want to follow the details here.

You can learn a lot by putting a hard block in the jaws of the caliper, lightly braking until the piston is stopped by the block, then measuring the piston retraction when you release the brake pressure, as described in that thread and the one linked from it. An old abused caliper may have no retraction at all.

If you see no retraction when applying and releasing the brake, your next step can be to attach a hose to the bleed screw, open it, and push the piston back a little. (This will force some fluid up into your hose. Route the hose upward from the caliper so the fluid stays there. You could get a little more fluid with a part-stroke of the pedal, just for good measure.) Now close the piston on your block again, this time not with the brake pedal, but by applying (low) air pressure gently through your hose. If you play it right, there's enough fluid in the hose that you don't get any air into the caliper by doing this. If you use a clear hose, you can see it.

If the piston has proper retraction when you are air-actuating through the open bleeder, but no retraction when the system is closed, the caliper may be ok and you have a fluid blockage somewhere upstream. If it doesn't retract in this second test either, your caliper needs attention.

It is also possible for certain cheap remanufactured calipers to have no retraction at all, right out of the box! So I've become an advocate of sticking with Toyota's calipers, either new (but they're pricey), or rebuilding them yourself (which is inexpensive).

About $33 will get you Toyota's rebuild kit for both sides (04478-47040, includes all rubber and miscellaneous bits needed including the correct grease, but no pistons, if you need one or both of those they are $18 each).

By the way, since for any pad replacement you need to push the pistons back, I've seen it advocated that you always open the bleeder to do that, so the fluid you are forcing out of the caliper does not get back-forced up through the rest of the system. The advice is probably good. In any case, when you do it that way, you will effectively do a partial fluid change, where you force out about a caliper's worth of the oldest, most heat-exposed fluid in the system, replacing it with some from further up the line, and topping off your reservoir with new.

-Chap

Mazen and Andyprius1 like this.
  11. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very explicit and interesting post.

Mazen likes this.
  12. TRUC NGUYEN

TRUC NGUYEN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It happened to my infinity g20. changed brake hoses, calipers, rotors pads and abs pump. Turn out to be brake master cylinder.

13. Mazen

Mazen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So what was in the master cylinder?
    How you fixed the problem?

14. Mazen

Mazen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you ChapmanF for very good and detailed explanation, but I have a few more questions if you don't mind:

1- I don't have a problem with braking , the pistons expands (otherwise I couldn't had the rotors getting hot, but I dont know why they don't get back and relaxed, is that because they have some dirt inside and needs to be cleaned from inside, and here I sacrifice to open the brake system to air (I don't know if this is a good idea) , or there is something else preventing them from relaxing (like collapse inside the rubber brake hose)

2- how to know if there is a problem above preventing brake fluid to get back (like in the master cylinder)?

3- is there a way to clean all the brake system beginning from basic brake reservoir to master cylinder to hoses and pistons (can one force hight stream air to clean all the tubes or this is a bad idea) ?, or the best idea is to bleed the system?

4- if we decided to bleed the system , is there any good idea to avoid fault alarms at the computer system?

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You are asking exactly the right questions. If you look again at my earlier post, you will see that what I suggested will give you a way to find the answers. If the problem is in the caliper (could be dirt, corrosion, hardened rubber seal, ...), then you will see the same failure to retract both when the bleed screw is closed and you are testing with brake pressure, and also when the bleed screw is open. If the problem is above the caliper, you will see failure to retract with the system closed, but proper retraction with the screw open. Doing that test is the way you can find out which case you have.

Make sense?

When most PriusChatters talk about a brake fluid flush/replacement, it is just a matter of opening the bleeders at the wheels to let old fluid out, while careful to keep the reservoir topped with new. There are a lot of threads here on how to do it, and I also highly recommend your repair manual at techinfo.toyota.com.

I cannot recommend any more "heroic" effort like trying to blast the system out with substances other than brake fluid. I've not heard of anyone doing that, I don't think I would try it myself, I can picture it not going well.

Sure, they're covered in the repair manual and in plenty of threads here. But you are getting ahead of things. You started with a first question: how to get evidence of whether the problem is in the caliper or above the caliper. That's still your first question. There is time to plan what to do about the problem, after you have more evidence of what the problem is.

-Chap

Mazen likes this.
  16. Mazen

Mazen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very clear ChapmanF
    I am so thankful
    This is what I am going to do
    1- I will Switch to Brake service mode 8 times/5 sec brake on P, then 8 times/5sec on N, then 8 times/5sec on P

2- Will expand the piston to about ¾ way, then will try to press it back with 2 positions (closed and open bleed screw ) , and again with air with a good amount of brake fluid before it

And then will see

Regards

#16 Mazen, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You'll probably be helped by reading the thread I linked to earlier, and the one linked from that. (There are some other details covered there that won't matter to you, but the description and photos of a piston retraction test are what you should look for.)

The point of the test is not whether you can push the piston back, but whether the piston pulls itself back when you release the pressure. That is done by the elastic rubber seal and it is necessary to keep your brakes from dragging.

You need to find blocks of some relatively noncompressible material (I used nylon blocks, but whatever is around), roughly as thick as the rotor and the pads, put the blocks between the piston and caliper jaw, apply pressure until the piston just touches the block and stops, then measure the return of the piston when you let the pressure off.

On a good Prius caliper it seems to be about 0.3 mm.

The photos in the earlier thread should help you.

-Chap

Mazen likes this.
  18. TRUC NGUYEN

TRUC NGUYEN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Some how it lock only the front right when I drive about 4 to 5 miles. It became cherry red I mean cherry red then waited for it to cool down and it would locked and became red for another 4 to 5 miles. The last part I replaced was the master cylinder and it fixed it.

Mazen likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yikes, that was not good!

Mazen likes this.
  20. Mazen

Mazen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't find the OBD port for my prius
    It looks that there is no port from inside the cabine for Prius 2010 !!
    Does anyone knows where it is?
    And how to avoid fault errors ?