1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake work - I'll never need it

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by etyler88, Dec 23, 2005.

1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From looking at Wayne's (mwbueno) website (link with pictures below). I am optomistic that I will never need to do any brake work on my Prius. Over the life of the car that could be as much a savings as the fuel. I expect to get at least 200,000 miles out of my Prius with no batttery or brake work. Wayne took a picture of his brake pads at 8,000 and 100,000 miles and it showed negligible wear. Man this car is awesome. Are there any other high mileage 2nd generation Prius owners who can testify?

http://privatenrg.com/#100kBrakePads

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That really depends on your driving style and environment. If you do frequent stop and go, and your stops tend to be abrupt, you will wear the brakes faster. The friction brakes are used under 8 MPH or so, panic stops, and situations requiring ABS or VSC.

Granted, even under the worst driving style, you will find much less brake wear than on a conventional car without regen braking.

By the way, the classic does use some friction braking along with regen.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, there's the guy with the pikachu avatar over at PriusOnline. He has an 01 with 75% brake pad life left.

I had my checked at 16,000kms and I had 90% front left, and 95% left in the rear.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I understand that Prius brake maint is rare, other than if road salt corrosion pits the discs or damages the front calipers. In Andrew Grant's original Prius taxi the rears were done once and the fronts twice IIRC. But taxi service is more taxing? Also he had several hydraulic fluid flushes, which might have been needed, or just a bit of profit for the shop.

My 2001 Prius has passed 83k miles and has those young-looking friction parts.

DAS

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is probably a bit premature for those of us with varied driving styles to be planting in our brains the thought that brake jobs will never be done on the Prius. Folks who commute 40+ miles each way on freeways with little braking below 7mph will probably have the longest brake pad life. On the other hand, my driving is pretty much urban and short distances. I suspect that I will be having a brake job done in the future. The question is when?

6. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Had to have my rotors replaced at 42,000 mi. - not because of wear but rather salt corrosion. Stainless rotors would be a great option for the Prius, since they would have probably gone another 40,000 mi. if not for the corrosion problem, according to my trusted mechanic. SS rotors are available for some vehicles, just not the Prius -yet.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do 100% city driving and at the 16,000km service mark, I was told I had 90% wear left in the front pads and 95% wear left in the rear so still fairly new considering my friend with a normal car is already down to 80% front, 75% rear.

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you noticed that the wheels on the Prius stay much cleaner due to the lack of brake usage. The front wheels on my previous car were black within a couple of days after it was washed.

9. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey..... Now that you mention it.....

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget to clean behind the plastic covers

11. Old n Bold

Old n Bold New Member

Brakes in general have gotten a lot better. My first car with discs (1968 Pontial Grand Prix) needed new discs at 30,000 miles. The 1996 Explorer I just traded in for the Prius had 150,000 miles on it and the brakes were 70% worn. The dealer said I could probably go to nearly 200,000 miles on them. My 1993 F150 has only 80,000 miles on it and the brakes are fine for some time to come. I would be shocked if I had to get new brake linings on the Prius within 100,000 miles.

12. seb33

seb33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am at the dealer with my Prius with 48,000 km and I've been told that I need brake work. I really don't trust them at all...is this likely?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: Brake work - I'll never need it

not likely, but possible. what exactly do they mean? have them show you and consider a second opinion. i have my daughters 04 being looked over by the local mechanic before i put it up for sale. 94,000 miles and he says it needs front pads and rotors. i'm going to go take a look. the pads are good to 1/10" and the rotors i would be concerned about grooving or warping. he wants $280. seems reasonable and makes me wonder if he's done a prius.

14. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hm can some get away with not going with a front brake and rear brake service?

which means relubing the caliper pins, and applying anti seize for the rear drums where the shoe sits.

15. ZitterZap

ZitterZap Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My service records regarding brakes.

156K miles

Then 241k miles

16. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My 2005 Prius (112k miles) has never had any brake work at all. I consider using the brakes as my failure as a driver.

I also have a Ford Escape Hybrid, which should have the same brake life. Guess what! At 16,000 miles the rotors and the brake pads rusted out and all had to be replaced. (pix and a major whine at Feud With Ford ). Both vehicles were parked in the same driveway for most of their lives and subject to the same weather conditions.

I would accuse Ford of using cheesy brake hardware, but cheese at least wouldn't rust.

Richard

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

what mileage are these listed at in the service manual?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    there is no mileage interval, it is just preventative maintainence... like if your brakes squeak a lot or some nonsense like that in wet salty weather

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Lubing the slide pins prevents a sticking caliper which would cause uneven pad wear (inner vs outer). It is a trivial task by any mechanic with a lift and can be DIY using jack stands or shallow ramps.

JeffD