1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Don-RI, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last week, after starting my Prius (2004 BC9, 41,500 miles) from park, the Brake, Triangle!, ABS and VSC warning lights came on. Brakes felt like they lost some power assist. Dealer did a diagnostics and got Code C1364 Info 243. Initially the dealer thought it was going to require replacement of the actuator, but didn't want to try that first. After 3 full days at the dealer, they called Toyota California tech assistance and were told to bleed the brake system. They did & the lights went out.

Last nite, I got the same warning lights. Turned Prius off & returned in 15 minutes. Heard a loud whistling when I opened the door (SKS system). It stopped but returned when I depressed the brake pedal. Let off the brakes, whistle stopped. Starting the car, the whistle continued and remained on. Tested brakes. Brake pedal would only depress a few inches before the pedal resistance felt hard, but Prius continued to roll. Depressing the brake pedal past this point caused the right rear wheel to lock up.

The dealer was able to replicate all conditions. But, he never heard the whistle before and doesn't know what's wrong with the brakes. He says he'll call California again.

In the meantime, any other ideas? Thanks!

Clix323 likes this.
  2. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: Still at the dealer. California tech help has given the Prius tech here several things to try. They will continue to work on it through tomorrow... Not a good feeling about any of this...

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Don-RI @ Jul 17 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]287983[/snapback]</div>
    I'm no tech, but obviously it sounds like the pressure is escaping. Why it is intermittent is strange..although I would think that it has some sort of regulator on it, with a pressure value to keep it from exploding if the regulator fails.

Sounds like the pressure regulator is bad, or that pressure release valve is bad causing you this issue.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sounds like an actuator- why were they so hesitant to replace it? probably because it's a real *&^!@ PITA.

5. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 18 2006, 05:48 PM) [snapback]288359[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the comment - too bad they didn't call you first.

My Prius is spending day #6 today at the dealer -- not counting the 3 days from the first incident.

They've bled the actuator and told me that this is the solution. I'm hoping to pick it up today.

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    they've got you in a rental, don't they? six days... that's usually not justified except in the most extreme cases or when obscure parts need to be ordered. :rolleyes:

well, best of luck Don and let us know if it's fixed.

7. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 20 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]289425[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Galaxee... Picked it up today. The RO read "Found ABS Brake Actuator System Air Bound.. Bled ABS Brake Actuator System and reset all Computer Codes." Keeping fingers crossed.

BTW, just wondering... out of habit, everytime I park a car, including my Prius, I apply the parking brake.
    Good idea or bad idea for the Prius?

8. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Don-RI @ Jul 20 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]289689[/snapback]</div>
    Parking brake is independent of power brake and is friction-based. I don't see why it would be a bad idea to use parking brake whenevr possible.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Don-RI @ Jul 20 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]289689[/snapback]</div>
    alright, hopefully that takes care of the problem.

when you set the parking brake there is an adjustment of the rear drums, and it is possible for them to be adjusted too tightly. so if you start to hear a squeak you might reduce your use of the parking brake. that's about all.

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 20 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]289699[/snapback]</div>
    I've found that my parking brake wasn't doing an adequate job of adjusting the drums. Took 10+ clicks to get some sort of engagement. I adjusted my rear brakes to reduce travel, as well as made a small adjustment under the console. It's much tighter, and starts to engage after 3 clicks, with wheel lockup at 8-9 clicks.

I am slightly concerned that they may be dragging though, so I may back them off a click or two this weekend if it seems to be a problem.

My concern though was why it wasn't self adjusting as it should be. The adjustment actuator didn't appear to be binding or siezed. Does it take actuation in addition to applying the brakes while in reverse to get it to adjust?

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :unsure: QUOTE: "...my parking brake wasn't doing an adequate job of adjusting the drums"

I believe tha "parking brake" has nothing to do with 'adjusting the drums.' It is simply a cable system to engage the rear brake shoes. Drum-type brakes are generally automatically adjusted when you apply brakes during reverse motion.

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a remaining question may be, how did air get *into* the
    system in the first place...
    Last year I had a pressure sensor go bum in my actuator -- all the
    pressure sensors are in there including the ones for master cylinder
    pressure. Symptom was that all *four* wheels locked up with the
    slighest pressure. Fix was, of course, to replace the actuator
    which *is* a PITA and the elaborate dance to bleed the system is
    just stunningly complex.
    _H*

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jul 21 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]290007[/snapback]</div>
    the self-adjustment system works by simply using the parking brake. all you need to do is use it once a week or so and it should adjust itself sufficiently. no braking in reverse needed. are you using it once a week? and is this your classic or the HSD prius?

when DH has a car in the air, he can tell if the owner uses their parking brake regularly. spin the rear wheel, and pull on the parking brake cable. the wheel should spin free, and it should stop when you grab the cable. that means it's in proper adjustment. if it's not in adjustment, you'll hear the brakes rub when the tire is spinning (too tight) or it won't stop when you pull the cable (too loose).

hope that helps.

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 21 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]290226[/snapback]</div>
    I'm refering to the HSD version for now, the classic is still "okay". My wife regularly uses the brake as well.

Actually it does help. I use mine daily actually. It was too loose before, but I probably have it on the "too tight" side now. I'll back it down tomorrow if it's dragging at all. Can't get mine in the air more than the jackstands will support, but it's enough to tell - just requires more "on my back" work.

I can usually tell when the dealer was adjusting the brake when the parking brake pedal felt tighter afterward.

15. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Don-RI @ Jul 20 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]289689[/snapback]</div>
    Didn't work. I got 24 hours in my Prius.

Car worked fine at Noon, parked it with a green charge on the hybrid battery.

Started it up 5 hours later, pink on the battery... and the Brake, Triangle, ABS & VSC lights back on... brake pressure disappearing... battery still discharging when at stoplights in drive (despite brakes applied)... when stopping, the car bucks when the brakes are applied (feels like using front handbrakes on a bicycle)...

Now it's back at the dealer, with brake pressure nearly gone. :(

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sigh... you poor guy. :( whoever you're dealing with really needs to get with the program, i recall this isn't the first time you've gone back to the dealer multiple times for the same problem while they screwed around with your car.

that's gotta be a bad actuator.

(edit: DH, half jokingly, said afterward to go into that dealership, tell them that a tech 1200 miles away knows what the problem is and while they can't see what's right in front of them, they need to put a #($)&^ actuator in your car.)

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jul 21 2006, 10:06 AM) [snapback]290007[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Rick, it is very easy to determine if the rear brake shoes are dragging at all. Just stop and feel them about 2 miles down the road. Warm=dragging, cold=not. This test is especially definitive in the NHW20, because it goes to such great lengths to avoid using friction brakes.

18. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 22 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]290687[/snapback]</div>
    galaxee & DH - I related your thinking the service reps & managers, pushed a bit, and they agree with your assessment. They are going to replace the ABS actuator, and under warranty. I really appreciate all your help with this. I'll keep you posted.

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    good to hear, this really does sound like it'll take care of the problem. let us know what happens.

20. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Picked it up & after 24 hours, so far so good. Thanks again for your help! :)