1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BRAKES locking up after going 2 feet

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DarrellP, Jul 6, 2019.

1. DarrellP

DarrellP New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok I'm new to this so please be kind any way I purchased 05 prius base with brake issues and bad small battery (the vehicle did not run) after replacing small battery and fuse I got car to power up and start but I barely had brakes so after research and many brakes codes I purchased a used abs actuator and replaced it and after several attempts I got all codes CLEARED and was ready to test drive WELL WITH NO CODES I put car in gear go about 2 feet hit the brakes AND WHAM I'M ALMOST THROWN THRU WINDSHIELD! It seems to be coming from front brakes or almost feels like engine is slamming to a halt!! Anyone experience anything like this in at a loss because of NO CODES!!!

bisco likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have another Prius you can drive for comparison? I've found that new Prius owners have this problem because not only is the car super light weight but the mechanical brakes that operate below 6mph are very powerful. This is especially true for people who are used to driving stick shift vehicles that don't have the same braking feel as an automatic transmission vehicle's brakes.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With our 3rd gen, in reverse right after start up, I'll sometimes (rarely) experience VERY touchy brakes. First time I noticed this I was backing up in a parallel parking space, slightly touched the brake, and bam: I thought for sure I'd backed into the car behind us, but no.

Not sure if this is any way related; just thinking maybe it's software??

4. DarrellP

DarrellP New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Guys it feels like I got a brick wall!!!! I have driven dozens of prius vehicles this is something locking up and finally got c1364 code but I realize it's wheel cylinder but prius brakes are so different I'm lost on how to proceed.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Google "toyota code c1364" and you'll see lots of Priuschat threads.