1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes or B mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by etyler88, Dec 1, 2005.

1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know this has been discussed many times but it usually gets too technical for me. Which makes more regen .cars on MFD screen when I come to a stop light.

Assumption, 1/4 mile of distance to stop & I'm going 50 mph; I will have to use the brakes no matter what.

Should I:
    A - go into B mode as soon as possible and stay off brakes till very end or

B - not use B mode at all and brake normal?

C - not use B mode at all and brake light then hard?

D - other

Which will make the most regeneration?

Please keep answers simple, A, B, C or the other
    Thanks

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is "B".

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The short "non-technical" answer is do not use the B mode at all. If your comming down a long steep hill with a full battery or at speeds under 20 mph it might be OK.

I would recommend reading the technical stuff, especially some of the posts on this subject by efusco, it really isn't hard to understand and isn't all that technical. I have found that taking the time to understand a little about how the car works has made me a better driver.

Edit: I should add that making a lot of regen cars is not necessarily a good idea.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jeff, I think your avatar is a strong competitor with maggieddd's. Poor kid...
    But I have to disagree with you about using B. From other posts, we already established that using brakes alone will regen more energy than using B.

tumbleweed is right. When you regen, there's conversion lost involve in the process.

The best thing to do is anticipate stops and lightly brake from long distance.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ignore B-mode. The situations where it is the best thing to do are so rare and hard to predict and recognize that it's just rarely the best choice and certainly is almost never the best choice in everyday driving.

6. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If B mode (not choice B, above) really just simulates conventional transmission downshifting, then it is simply a convenience to avoid alternate braking and unintentional accelleration from coasting downhill. If, on the other hand, it really "engages" the Internal Combustion Engine to impede gravity acceleration, the potential for recapturing energy for recharge of the battery is lessened. Who knows the exact mechanism by which the B position of the selector lever accomplishes its retarding action? Sorry, this obviously doesn't simplify, as etyler requested, but I, too am confused - I have seen other posts that do not clarify it for me.

7. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    We're in agreement. My "B" was choice B in the original posters message. Choice "B" is to not use B. Confused yet? :blink:

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    B.

How's this, B-mode keeps the engine on which does waste some gas.

Train yourself to use the brakes instead. Think of B as brakes++.

9. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah dont use B mode

10. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

OH!! I GOT IT :blink:
    No really, I do. :p

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is known, some of the people here at priuschat have figured it out for us. All you have to do is find the information. The search function will find a lot of it or you can just look through the various forums at past posts.

12. Venturer

Venturer New Member

If you're a flatlander, you'll probably never need it. If you live in the mountains, you've probably already learned that the "B" is the best friend you have going down a long 8-10% grade like the Jackson side of Teton Pass. In the right situation it is a real brake saver.

Doug

P.S. FWIW I believe the B mode regenerates until the battery is full. Then it will turn the ICE over, but with no gas being injected. This bleeds off some power from the battery so there is room for more regeneration. Therefore, it does not waste any gas while decending a long grade.

13. habel

habel New Member

Interesting. B is usefull here in Norway, we have a lot of slopes hills and mountains.