1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AAWADKE, Oct 26, 2006.

1. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

I have around 9500 miles on my 06. Since last 600 odd miles i am experiencing some things with my brakes which i did not experience before. I can hear a mild squeel while backing up. This only happens if i release the brake pedal lightly.....makes me think the brake pads are in light contact with the drum or the disk......i wouldnt expect to hear this sound at only 9000 miles on my prius. The other thing i have noticed is grabby (hope this is the right word) brakes while coming to a gradual stop. I only experince this when i am very light on brakes and coming to gradual stop. The brakes tend to grab for a while - release again and then finally grab to bring the vehicle to jerky stop. The car stops 3-4 feet before i anticipate it to stop ofcourse with very mild jerks. I understand this is mechanical braking coming into action. But i never experienced these jerks before. Also to mention is the promonent creep sound while releasing the brake pedals.
    I am thinking to do an early oil change at 9500 miles instead of 10000 and report it to dealer then. I had my previous oil change exactly at 5000 miles.
    Any comments? or suggestions?
    Thanks in advance...

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    do you use your parking brake at all? if so how often?

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I know the brakes tend to get a little rust on them since they aren't used much... could this be causing it? (not a brake expert, just wild speculation here)

4. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 26 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]338804[/snapback]</div>
    I use parking brakes all the time the car is parked

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok, try using it a little less frequently. your brakes might be overtightened. every time you use the parking brake, it's adjusting the rear drums. most times it'll take care of itself, but with very frequent use it can overtighten them.

not sure if that's related to the rough regen to friction transition, but i can ask the hubby about that more in depth tonight and see if he has anything to say.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 26 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]338819[/snapback]</div>
    That's interesting, I was just coming in here to say that I have the same "problem" (I put it in quotes b/c it's more of a minor annoyance than a problem) but I rarely, if ever, use the parking brake. I only use it if I'm parked on an incline, which is almost never. It's annoying when you're trying to be super stealthy and back out of a parking space in silence, only to have the brakes squeak slightly... :rolleyes:

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hiya J-

sounds like you've got the opposite situation... a lack of adjustment! :lol: use the parking brake at least once a week, so you know your cable isn't seizing and that everything's staying in the proper adjustment.

to the OP-

just to be on the safe side, go ahead and take it to the dealer. MAKE SURE you trust them... they might try to blow you off. demonstrate it to them and if you are absolutely sure this isn't right and they say it's normal, ask them to show it to you on another vehicle. may or may not have anything to do with the brake adjustment. try not using the parking brake for a week or so for the squeak. the park lock mechanism is sufficiently strong to hold the car.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or if you're willing to do a little mechanical messin' around, pull
    the back wheels and see how easily the brake drums turn. If there's
    friction, it's relatively easy to pull the drums completely off and
    readjust the screw piece holding them apart [it's got a big sort of
    sprocket on it, designed for the auto-adjuster to kick one tooth
    at a time] until there's no more friction when the drum is back on
    and you turn it. Don't go too far in with it, else the parking
    brake might not work at all, but the shoes *should* sit just clear
    of the drum with no contact when relaxed. That's what the springs
    are in there for, and that's why the rear hydraulic lines are pre-
    pressured *just* a little bit during regen so the shoes are right
    there ready to contact the drums instantly when needed.
    For other hints, search the forums for "brakes grabbing".
    _H*

9. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 26 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]339108[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the information.....with just 9000 miles on it it must be covered under warranty..??? anyway i have a sceduled oil change in 2-3 days .....i will let the dealer do the work....

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 26 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]338977[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, N! I'll give that a try. It only happens when I'm reversing reeeeeeally slowly, like from a parking spot where I can't see around either vehicle parked beside me and I go slow so I don't accidentally hit an unsuspecting pedestrian. :D

11. moolman

moolman Member

Late to the party, I get the same light squeaking when backing up out of my parking spot. I use the parking break all the time.

The rear tire starting squeaking like crazy when I started to drive today, so I have to take it into the dealer.