1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes- scared shops

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lesk_The_Glut, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Lesk_The_Glut

Lesk_The_Glut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last year, I botched my first shoe replacement on the rear wheels of my 2006 at around 200k miles. I wasn't sure how to adjust and I could tell they weren't working correctly. Also, I managed to destroy a wheel cylinder. So, I took it to America's Tire Dealer. They kept it over night, claiming that they had to speak to someone to walk them through working on a prius.

Fast forward to this week. I've noticed a grinding sound from the rear which got really bad yesterday. I couldn't get the drums off so I took it to Les Schwab for a free inspection. The shoes are metal to metal. I must have bought some really cheap shoes last year. Apparently, I tweaked something while trying to remove a drum and a hold down pin came out, damaging a cylinder. So, I was leaking a lot of fluid on the way to Les. Anyway, they don't seem to know how to work on this Prius either. After speaking with a trainer by phone, they clamped the line, refilled the reservoir, threw the parts in a box and told me to take it elsewhere. They apparently can only work on "some" Prii.

What the heck is so odd about this car? Apart from pulling the relay, I can see nothing that sets this car apart. Has anybody else experienced this kind of fear and ignorance in a professional shop?

Thanks

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's plenty of fear & ignorance to go around. Since the car is low maintenance there isn't much incentive for the mechanics at the indy shops to invest in the proper tools.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lazy, they probably just don't want to bother working on someone else's mess. you might have to take it to a dealer for a good hosing.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your personal experience botching the job might illustrate why a general brake shop is not interested in working on your car. If you look at the factory repair manual you will note many steps where you can easily screw up the Prius brake system, related to trying to purge the hydraulic system of air, allowing the 12V battery to be connected while working on the brake system, etc.

I suggest the following:

1. Subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com so that you have the factory repair manual info and can determine exactly what you botched, so that you don't make the same mistakes in the future.
    2. Buy the correct Toyota shoes/wheel cylinders/drums for the rear brakes so that you are not hampered by the use of inferior parts.
    3. Get Mini VCI so that you can use Toyota Techstream where needed in the brake fluid bleeding process.

OR, if you cannot be bothered to learn about the Prius braking system, tow the car to your local Toyota dealer so that they can do 2 and 3 on your behalf, at a large markup.

Good luck.

5. jessiejosco

jessiejosco Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you need to find a decent shop to work on your car. I just got my front pads/rotors replaced at a shop that specializes in Volvos and they had no issues. The braking system at the wheel ends of the Prius are pretty conventional and any decent mechanic should be able to do a brake job on them. The only big difference as you mentioned is that you are supposed to disconnect the battery or remove the relay. A good safety practice. That said, I have had the front brakes off my 06 twice without doing this, opened the drivers door, let it sit for a week, etc, and the pistons do not shoot out of the calipers, and no error codes are generated.

I have not had to change a wheel cylinder yet, but I would bet that the rear brake cylinder would "gravity" bleed without having to mess with the Tech Stream software.

When my 06 was newer I pretty much stuck to Toyota parts and they are probably the best in most cases. But I selectively use some aftermarket parts now, including "raybestos" brake parts on my 06 and 08 and so far they are working and wearing as well as the originals.

6. Lesk_The_Glut

Lesk_The_Glut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see now. It was the bleeding that scared 'em. I did it with techstream.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.