1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes shuddering on '07

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Davidg, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

Hello all,

My daughter, after turning 16, has claimed our '07 with 170K as her own. Both my wife and daughter have been complaining that the car shudders when hitting the brakes.

For background, last fall, they heard a loud scraping noise coming from the front wheels, I decided that after 155K, it was time for a brake job. I pulled off the wheels and proceeded to swap the pads and rotors to discover that the scraping noise was coming from a rock caught between the hub and dust shield. :mad: Didn't really think about it prior to doing this, but this is a different beast when it comes to brakes and the pads still had plenty of life left on them. The piston on the right caliper refused to go back in to allow space for the new pads, so that needed to be replaced. Quite the frustrating job.

The brakes had been fine up until a month ago or so. I took it out for a test drive, but only detected a "shudder" when braking through about 20 mph. I didn't detect any pull in the brakes and the stopping power seems fine. They seem to experience something different than I do.

I plan on pulling the wheels off and having a closer look when our schedules allow. Is there anything in specific I should look for? The mechanical brakes kick in under 10 mph, correct? If the shuddering is happening above this speed, what in the regen braking system could cause this?

Thanks.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Have you ever had a warped rotor before? Take them both to a machine shop to get them checked. You should feel that at high speed, too, though, unless there's some weird resonance thing.

Check for leaks--brake fluid, CV grease.

Make sure your caliper repair is working.

Make sure suspension joints and bushings are tight.

Are the rear brakes adjusted properly? If the parking brake works well, they're probably fine.

The regen system is immediately invoked when you take your foot off the accelerator, so if there were a regen problem, you should feel it before you hit the brakes. The friction brakes are always invoked when you apply pressure to the brake pedal. The regen system will assist, and will vary according to battery capacity and speed.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could the discs be warped?

4. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

I have had warped rotors on our van and this has a different feel to it. I don't get the shudder when tapping the brakes at highway speeds. The rotors are less than a year old, so I certainly hope that they haven't warped in that amount of time.

I plan on pulling the wheels over the weekend to have a look. I'll check the caliper slides to ensure they are operating as they should. I put on an OEM caliper as a replacement, I certainly hope that hasn't crapped out either. But I would think that I'd get some pulling if the caliper had gone.

Last time I had looked (generally when I rotate the tires at 5k), the boots and joints appeared to be fine a month or so ago. I'll give it another look over though.

From what you're saying, the likelihood of it being something in the regen system is small. That's a relief.

Thanks for the input.

5. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

I pulled off the wheels over the weekend and had a thorough look at the brakes and suspension. Found no leaks or broken boots and all the bushings looked as well as they should for a 9 year old car.

One thing I did notice, however, was the caliper slides were a touch sticky. I pushed them in and twisted them a few times and that seemed to loosen them up quite a bit. After putting it all back together, I had my wife drive it and she thought it made a slight improvement, but didn't really completely make it go away.

I hadn't checked the rears, so I pulled those off and had a look. The shoes were at about the minimum spec so I proceeded to swap those and the drums (which were also at the minimum spec per the local auto parts place). Man, I've forgotten how much I hate dealing with brake drums and all the associated springs. :mad:

My daughter said it felt better on her way into school this morning, so hopefully that will hold true after they have fully bedded.