1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes sound loose only when in reverse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by danl, Apr 15, 2010.

1. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Apologies, I posted this before but somehow lost track of that post. This has been bugging me for a while. I've had my prius for a year now and noticed this way back when I first picked up the car from the dealer. But I always assumed that this was normal. Just looking for confirmation that it is (hopefully).

So as the title states, my brakes sound loose when I'm slowly creeping in reverse. Sounds like the brake pads or some lever, but definitely something mechanical moving whenever I press down on the brake pedal. The odd thing is that the sound goes away when I'm in drive, even if I'm creeping at the same slow speed.

Note, I'm not talking about the rattle snake brake accumulator pump, I know what that sounds like.

Anyone notice this or know what I mean? Its hard to describe.

-Dan

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This may sound odd but it may be some water or condensation under your brakes when you reverse. Does it happen at a specific time of day?

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Try to make a recording?

I don't think my 2009 sounds differently creeping forward vs. backward.

4. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sounds the same at any point in the day. I'll try to make a recording of it.