1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes vs Regen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nparker13, Aug 19, 2009.

1. nparker13

nparker13 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just wondering...when applying the brake, is it actually braking while spinning the regen motor, or is it using the regen motor up until a certain point then braking?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How it was explained to me... depending on how hard you apply the brakes, regen happens from x mph down to about 7 mph and then the friction brakes are applied. If you hit the brake pedal hard then it is all friction no matter the speed.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Correct. Regeneration is also limited by the capacity of MG2 to make electricity and the ability of the battery to absorb the energy. Reaching one of these limits will initiate engine braking and/or friction braking. Regeneration and friction braking can operate simultaneously.

Tom

4. fgmg

fgmg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Then, on the ECO bar, is it a good assumption if the charge bar is not maxed out then we are only engaging the regenerative breaking and not friction breaking?

I would like to maximize the regeneration and minimize the friction breaking (in addition to the wear and tear on normal breaks).

Also, what happens if the battery is full/near full? Does friction breaking only work?

Thanks

5. kilork

kilork New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but did the Gen3 regen braking system change substantially from Gen2? I've sold my '06 Prius back in 2007, but seem to 'feel' a difference in the feedback when breaking in the Gen3 Prius. Anyone else noticed the difference? :cool: