1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Braking Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Snaeem155, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Snaeem155

Snaeem155 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys,

I have a 2008 T Spirit 3 with 100k on the clock which runs perfectly fine apart from one niggly issue.

Sometimes when I brake and the speed is below 7mph it feels like the brakes have failed momentarily and the vsc light will flash and then the brakes will clamp on again.

It happens at least 20% of the time when I brake.

Any ideas why this is?

Thanks

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It sounds like something is causing a wheel to lock up and skid and the system is doing what it's supposed to do. I usually feel that when accelerating out of gravel--it's disconcerting when it happens.

Have you ever had the brakes serviced? In the UK, you probably have rear disc brakes. Here in N. America, I'd suspect the rear drum brakes first. You do not need a dealer to check the friction part of the brakes--any shop can do that.

You should check bushings, struts, and bearings too. Again, any shop can do that.

Unrelated, it's probably time to flush brake fluid if you haven't done it. Hydraulic system work is a dealer or Prius-specific mechanic job.

PS: Thank you for spelling "brakes" correctly. There have been a few threads lately calling them "breaks."

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the tire tread depth and inflation pressure on all four wheels?

4. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your rotors can rust and you won't feel it until the brake transitions from regen to friction brakes. Try a few non-regen brakes to clean things up. From about 40 mph (64 kph) slip the car into neutral and brake to a stop. Do this about 3 times. The car can't regen in neutral so it must use the brakes. I find this useful after a rain or if the car has sat for a few days.