1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Braking System woes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Skwyre7, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tonight my wife calls and said, "The VSC light, the ABS light, and a yellow exclamation point in a circle inside parentheses came on when I stopped. The car kind of shuttered when I stopped too."

I told her to take it to the dealer and have the codes pulled. We got the the service bay at 6:05, and they close at 6:00. Luckily, I got there a few minutes before my wife, and I had called ahead. A couple of the guys stayed late and scanned for codes. They couldn't find any, which I thought was rather odd. The service tech asked if I had had the brake light switch recall done. We've got an '05, not an '04, so we shouldn't be affected. Right?

Also, my wife has been having a difficult time getting CC to engage. I asked her how it felt when she stopped and the lights came on. There was no pothole to engage traction control. The shuttering could have been the ABS working. She didn't slam on the brakes. There was no beep for the VSC to engage.

The warning lights were still on when I saw the car. I took a picture, but I'll have to post it later.

I did a search and the regenerative braking system keeps coming up. I asked her how it felt when she braked. She said that it felt like a normal car braking, not the normal Prius braking.

We left the car for them to look at first thing tomorrow. They're going to give me a call tomorrow morning to "fill out" the service request. I'll ask for any codes that were pulled, of course. I'll keep you all posted.

Oh, this is the first major thing to happen in 67k miles.

2. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tonight my wife calls and said, "The VSC light, the ABS light, and a yellow exclamation point in a circle inside parentheses came on when I stopped. The car kind of shuttered when I stopped too."

I told her to take it to the dealer and have the codes pulled. We got the the service bay at 6:05, and they close at 6:00. Luckily, I got there a few minutes before my wife, and I had called ahead. A couple of the guys stayed late and scanned for codes. They couldn't find any, which I thought was rather odd. The service tech asked if I had had the brake light switch recall done. We've got an '05, not an '04, so we shouldn't be affected. Right?

Also, my wife has been having a difficult time getting CC to engage. I asked her how it felt when she stopped and the lights came on. There was no pothole to engage traction control. The shuttering could have been the ABS working. She didn't slam on the brakes. There was no beep for the VSC to engage.

The warning lights were still on when I saw the car. I took a picture, but I'll have to post it later.

I did a search and the regenerative braking system keeps coming up. I asked her how it felt when she braked. She said that it felt like a normal car braking, not the normal Prius braking.

We left the car for them to look at first thing tomorrow. They're going to give me a call tomorrow morning to "fill out" the service request. I'll ask for any codes that were pulled, of course. I'll keep you all posted.

Oh, this is the first major thing to happen in 67k miles.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    were the lights still on when they plugged in the scantool?

cc may be related, but he's thinking probably not. first thing that comes to mind is brake actuator. but without codes, it's 100% speculation. good luck, and keep us updated.

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    were the lights still on when they plugged in the scantool?

cc may be related, but he's thinking probably not. first thing that comes to mind is brake actuator. but without codes, it's 100% speculation. good luck, and keep us updated.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The lights were on and they couldn't pull codes? What are they
    using, the $49.95 Pep Boys scanner?
    _H*

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The lights were on and they couldn't pull codes? What are they
    using, the $49.95 Pep Boys scanner?
    _H*

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Sep 11 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]510962[/snapback]</div>
    The lights were on, but no one was home...

Tom

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Sep 11 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]510962[/snapback]</div>
    The lights were on, but no one was home...

Tom

9. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The lights were on when they plugged in the scanner. They did use the fancy laptop-type scanner. There probably were codes pulled, they just didn't tell me last night. I'll make sure to get them when I talk to them this morning.

10. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The lights were on when they plugged in the scanner. They did use the fancy laptop-type scanner. There probably were codes pulled, they just didn't tell me last night. I'll make sure to get them when I talk to them this morning.

11. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I got a call while I was in the middle of something else, so I didn't ask for codes. They said it was the brake light switch. They're going to call me back after I mentioned the extended warranty, so I'll get the codes then.

12. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I got a call while I was in the middle of something else, so I didn't ask for codes. They said it was the brake light switch. They're going to call me back after I mentioned the extended warranty, so I'll get the codes then.

13. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The brake light switch was not in stock, so we had to leave the car with them overnight. It should be done by lunchtime today.

Parts and labor: $160, but covered by the extended warranty. Yay!

14. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The brake light switch was not in stock, so we had to leave the car with them overnight. It should be done by lunchtime today.

Parts and labor: $160, but covered by the extended warranty. Yay!

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmmmm. honestly he's skeptical. but if it fixes the problem, well hey. :)

16. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I felt the same way. So far everything seems good. Let's keep our fingers crossed... ;)