1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Braking system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JayWilliams, May 28, 2013.

1. JayWilliams

JayWilliams New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my 2004 Prius back in October at a used Honda dealership. A couple of weeks after I bought it I was driving, had been driving for over 2 hours and made a stop. When I left from the stop and tried to stop at a stop sign, my "abs" and "vsc" lights came on and my breaks would not work for more than 5 seconds at a time. I could push them and it would slow down but then it was like my foot left the pedal and the breaks went out. I pulled over and had the dealership come tow it to their shop and I left it there for a day. They called me to come get it, so I picked it up, and they never charged me anything so I assumed it was all under warranty or something. Now almost 7 months later I am having the same exact problem. I called the dealership to see what they did to fix it last time and they said there was no record that anything had been done to it, that they think it just started up fine with no problems when they tried. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not in a financially safe place to replace anything significantly expensive. I have read a few other posts with the same problem but have not read a solution to the problem. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you need to have your car checked out at a Toyota dealership. It's not possible to offer much help without knowing what DTC have been logged by the skid control ECU.

3. JayWilliams

JayWilliams New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya I'm going to try and get it there tomorrow. I live about 30 miles away from town and my dealership and am scared to drive it.

4. JayWilliams

JayWilliams New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got off the phone with the dealership that worked on it back in October and they said they never had to change anything, that at first they thought about replacing the brake accuator but then just "adjusted something" and BAM it worked. Any ideas what they did to it? I'm going to try and drive it back up there today to see if they can do it again.

5. JayWilliams

JayWilliams New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another update since nobody is replying: Took it to the Honda dealership I bought it at and they brought up the code c1274. And I found out that the last time I brought it in there for the SAME problem back in October they did no documentation of the repair, wht they did or who worked on it. The problems has been fixed for almost 7-8 months and just now happened again. Obviously they did not replace anything because I didn't get charged and there is no record, and the lady that worked there the first time said she THINKS they adjusted the brake switch but not for sure and she had to leave for the rest of the week and nobody else there knows anything. Any suggestions or help please!!!

6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't know if the codes are the same/similar between 2004 and 2010, but it could be the left rear speed sensor.

DTC C1274.PNG

7. JayWilliams

JayWilliams New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they told me C1274 is a problem with the stroke sensor which is a $1000 part.

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or a used part?

10. JayWilliams

JayWilliams New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But what I don't get is that this problem happened before in October, and I took it to them and three days later it was fixed without them having to replace anything. Same exact problems and lights that popped up with the shaking when I brake. The person that fixed it thinks she adjusted the brake switch but isn't sure and nobody else there knows what was done to it or how to do it again.

11. JayWilliams

JayWilliams New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have still been doing research for 2 days and came across a conversation between a customer and Toyota tech support that had the same problems that I am experiencing and they recommended doing an update to the computer logic to repair it. Do you think that would work in my situation? I'm going to try to either call or do the online chat with Toyota tech support tomorrow as the dealership I bought the car at cannot get to it until Monday. I really don't believe it's the ECU since it's happened before without having to replace anything. So to do this do I just take it to Toyota and tell them I want it updated?

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you take the car to your Toyota dealer, describe the symptoms, and let the tech figure out what the problem is. It is likely that your car has an intermittent problem and that the Honda dealer service just cleared the skid control DTC without addressing the underlying issue.

Let's see if the Toyota tech retrieves DTC C1274 (which would point to the left rear wheel speed sensor as previously suggested) or some other DTC.

Now, if you are told that the Toyota tech cannot come up with a diagnosis, then you might at that time suggest looking into whether the ECU firmware can be updated. It is not clear to me that the skid control ECU firmware can be updated, but the hybrid vehicle ECU firmware can be.

13. JayWilliams

JayWilliams New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in a very small town with only 2 certified mechanics at my Toyota dealership qualified to work on a Prius. I am getting no cooperation from them or Honda because they all know each other so I'm just going to call the Toyota tech support and ask them about the update. All the people I have dealt with in the past few days with this car are just incompetent.