1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brand and Type of Gas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cmwade77, Mar 10, 2006.

1. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

I have just bought a Prius and I know all of my other cars seem to do best on a particular brand and type of gas, i.e. one was 76 Regular and another was Chevron Premium.

So I am wondering what brand of Gas and type i.e. Regular Unleaded, Mid-Grade or Premium does everyone get the best gas milleage out of?

I live in So. Cal. and when I bought the car I put in a tank or ARCO (only thing around, unfortunately) Premium and I am getting about 47 MPG on Average from it. I also should note that I bought the car used with approximately 20,000 miles on it. It is a 2004 Prius.

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Regular

Any brand will do. Don't waste your money on Premium; others say premium will even damage the Prius.

Welcome aboard; please post your location in your Profile and your Prius year/package in your signature.

3. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Engines built for regular should get regular. Higher octanes burn hotter, and can damage the car over time. The Prius was made for Regular...and it's the cheapest...so go with it.

That said....I use Shell probably 90% of the time, because I get 5% back on it. The other 10% I need to get gas quickly...and I buy whatever is in front of me. The only exceptions to this rule are places where I or others have gotten water in the gas which I avoid.

destinypriusIII likes this.
  4. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

I am still trying to figure out the package, as I bought it used from a KIA Dealership (they also own a Toyota Dealership, so I got a Toyota Extended Warranty with it), they are not sure, how do I find out?

5. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I shop at Sam's weekly. I use whatever gas is in their tanks. I'm also very price conscious. If money was no object I'd probably go for Shell, Amoco, or another brand name. I always use regular. I doubt very much if 93 octane would make a difference.

6. modernsituations

modernsituations New Member

I started putting premium, 3 tanks after i'm finding out it's not good. so i'm about 2 squares from empty anyone have any suggestions on how to make the switch to regular? should i let it run a little low before putting the regular in? or does it not matter that much? thanks.

7. landstander

landstander darling no baka

A place where the nuts hunt the squirrels
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It doesn't really matter. Just run the tank as low as you're comfortable doing (no need to wait until the last pip starts blinking), and then refill with regular.

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sams Club, Regular Unleaded 87 octane..
    I always refuel at 2 bars.