1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brand New 2010: First Service, What & When

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mcamp52, Oct 18, 2009.

1. mcamp52

mcamp52 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Loving my new 2010 Prius for 6 days and it finally occurred to me that the only service advice I got from the dealer was to come in for the first oil change in 5,000 miles.

Now that I have come to my senses, I have some other questions and I'd be more inclined to trust this chat site than a car dealership ;)

What about:
    Is there a "break-in" period or recommended recommended way to drive for the first XXX miles?
    Is the first oil change really at 5,000 miles? I've always had it done after the first 1,000 just to be on the safe side.
    How about first car wash? is there a waiting period for that? Brakes? Go easy on them for the first XXX miles?

Anyone have any thoughts on how to treat this fine automobile during it's young life?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Break in is listed in the manual. I think it says first 600 miles not hard accelerating or braking. Oil change at 5,000 miles, use synthetic 0w20 requirement.

You can wash it whenever you wish.

I'd protect it with some quality wax or even better something like Zaino.

You can use the search function to learn more about Zaino and other products we all recommend for protecting our Prius.