1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brand new owner of a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by VFerdman, Jul 18, 2017.

1. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, I have just taken delivery of a new to me 2007 Prius in Silver Pine Mica. It has package #3 plus aftermarket HID lights. One owner car with 175K miles. It's in excellent shape in and out. I have had great support in another thread when I was searching to buy this car. Thank you, all. This thread is just to capture my first experiences with this vehicle. I am totally new to hybrids, never owned a Toyota, but have been working on my own cars since my teen days in the 80's. I am used to doing my own maintenance and most repairs. I've owned Volvos for the past 20 years. They've been good to me, but it's time to go a little greener and I really am not seeing any new Volvos that I like.

Right off the bat, I need to replace spark plugs. The original owner (it's a one owner car prior to me) didn't even realize it had spark plugs, but he did take the car to be serviced, so it may have had plugs changed, but we are not sure. So I just got some Denso OE plugs for it and will throw them in shortly. Are the original plugs Denso? I want to keep things as close to original as possible. I will also post in maintenance forum and also in modifications as this car has aftermarket HID lights and I am not sure I want to keep them.

Thank you for having this great community. I have gotten so much from online Volvo community (and have given back) that I really wouldn't want to own a car that lacked this type of thing.

[​IMG]

WHCSC likes this.
  2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Welcome to prius ownership!! You can make an account at Toyota.com which will allow you to register your vin and check maintenance history. Your car sounds almost identical to mine. I have a 2007 Pine Mica Touring Model. I registered on the Toyota site and found the previous owners had 37 dealer visits (same area) over the life of the car which covered every oil change, spark plugs, recalls, tires, etc. It was a great thing to read. Gave me a lot of comfort knowing the cars complete history.

Are you sure the headlights are aftermarket? Do you mean the lenses and everything, or just the bulbs are different than OEM? If you're looking to put OEM bulbs into the OEM HID setup, Home Depot online has the correct ones for $52 each. That's where I bought mine when one started going bad (blinking off). Took about 2 days to arrive and they've worked perfect.

VFerdman likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

VFerdman likes this.
  4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you, I will definitely register on toyota.com. My HID lights are definitely aftermarket bulbs/starter (whatever it's called) in a OEM halogen reflector. Hence, no leveling. Previous owner (who owned the car since new) said he really wanted HID lights, but at the time of purchase this was the one he could make a good deal on and so he bought it and HID installed aftermarket. He said he has no regrets, but I am not happy with the prospect of blinding oncoming traffic. I'll explore this as I settle into this car. I have not driven it much yet as I only just got it properly registered a few hours ago. I am about to change the plugs just in case, but I will first check the Toyota site.

Thanks again!

5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I just turned over 5K miles on my new-to-me 2007. It now has 180K miles on the clock. The average MPG according to Fuelly is 48.9 MPG in 10 fuel ups. That's about 500 miles per tank (I may have not started logging on Fuelly right away, so maybe 11 fuel ups). Quite a bit of that mileage was on the highway (40% - 50%).

I am very impressed and delighted with this car. It is a joy to drive, has lots of room for passengers and cargo, lots of little storage compartments (two glove boxes?! yes, please!). I like the way it handles and accelerates and some of the criticisms I read before I bought it about the steering feeling "disconnected" from the road are bunk. It feels fine. I owned European cars most of my life with the exception of Mazda and Honda/Acura for a little while in the late 80s. Those Honda/Acura and Mazda experiences of the 80's did not make me a Japanese car fan. Yes, they were very reliable and ran great, but they had horribly uncomfortable seats, bad ergonomic design in many ways, felt chinsy in construction. I liked them fine, but did not love them. I went back to a Euro maker (Volvo) once I got a family and a child. Not that Volvo is flawless (far from it), but I felt some of the human elements were handled better. Not the least of which is shade tree maintenance by design. I remained cold towards Asian car makers.

This Prius has really turned many of these feeling around. I think it is a very well designed and thought-out car. It may be because Toyota really put extra effort into Gen 2 to establish dominance in the hybrid market (which I think they did). This Corolla class car really has a lot more to it than a Corolla.

So now I am about to change the oil. Going to use Mobile 1 5W30 and a Toyota filter. Still to do: change both coolants. I have the tools and fluids necessary, but am still a bit chicken to do it. Afraid to introduce air into the system. I have the vacuum setup and everything, still have a bit of fear to overcome on this one. Been working on my cars since early 80's, so not a newbie, but have never worked on a cooling system that does not purge the air as it runs.

I also want to express gratitude for this forum and people participating and adding to the knowledge. I hope to contribute as much as I can. It is my firm belief that this type of support is essential to keep older cars on the road. And doing that helps environment by reducing the demand for new vehicles being built. I try to keep my cars running as long as I can.

Cheers!

WHCSC and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You mention doing your own maintenance, let me caution you about the brakes.

The Good: due to having 4 braking systems*, the pads and drums last a long time.

The Bad: it is difficult to bleed the brake fluid with 4 braking systems, special software can open all brake lines at once, but it never happens normally.

The Ugly: the car is never 'off', when you work on brakes, disconnect the 12 volt battery, so no computer decides to operate brakes while you have them disassembled.

[​IMG]

*Friction, Regenerative, Engine, and Parking

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good luck and let us know how it goes. That's going to be one of my Spring 2018 jobs. What vacuum setup are you using?

8. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you so much about the warning. Yes, things like brakes and cooling systems are so simple in normal cars, but in Prius it's necessarily much more complicated. I have not had to look at brakes yet, but when I do Iwill definitely keep this in mind and do a lot of reading and asking questions. I am not assuming I know how to do it just because I've done it for the past 35 years...

I haven't used it yet, but I bought this one from Amazon.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You seem smart, rational, and want to avoid unnecessary misery.
    1) Buy mini VCI from Amazon. $20-$30. All the selllers are sellig the same knock-off cable and hacked Techstream software.
    2) Get an obsolete Windows 32bit laptop (XP or 7). This will be your dedicated Toyota code reader. Many threads on install help for Win and Mac, just search.
    3) Get a temporary subscription to Toyota TIS, Toyota - New Subscription , the OFFICIAL service manual. $15 for a 2 business day subscription. $15 is a small price to pay to get authentic materials from the source, malware free. Unfortunately today, Toyota no longer makes the download available as PDF. You have to convert CHM files into PDF files. This person figured out a way to do that. Toyota TIS download tips | PriusChat
    4) Always research a repair procedure from the factory manual before undertaking the repair, to save yourself learning the hard way that not all automotive repair procedures are applicable with the Prius.​

WHCSC likes this.
  10. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I already have a mini-VCI cable. Also have a bluetooth OBDII dongle and TorquePro app on my phone. Have not used the Techstream yet. I have a dedicated laptop now, but it's Windows 10. I have been reading about making Techstream and mini-VCI drivers work on 64 bit Windows. Apparently it's possible. I want to keep this laptop Windows 10 for various reasons.

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Some people have been able to get a 64bit windows computer to work. You will have to do a search.