1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brand spankin' new blue one

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pottedmeat, Sep 1, 2007.

1. pottedmeat

pottedmeat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I took my 2004 325xi (75k+ miles) for an oil change a the other day. I was always nervous every 5000 miles with the ol' Beamer... mostly because an oil change would be accompanied by $1000+ of other "routine maintainence". I was definitely putting this guy's kids through college...

"You're going to need two new front tires to pass inspection."
    "That shimmy is caused by a broken caliper. Oh, and let's not forget that new rotor. And brake pads!"
    "<unintelligible auto speak> seals <more auto speak> gaskets <more> bushings!"
    "You're going to need two new front tires to pass inspection." (me: "What, again?" him: "Well, I moved the old tires to the back." me: "Um, oh... do you take Discover?")

I guess his kid decided to go to grad school at this point, since on top of the $125 oil change, he was trying to sell me something called "Inspection 2". I wasn't clear what this was, since mechanics usually look for things wrong with the car as a matter of course, but hey, textbooks are expensive. And let's not mention the other "routine" things he was planning to inflict on my car for November.... some sort of sealing gasket bush that, if not replaced, would eventually cause my engine to fall out or explode or possibly both. Funny Germans.

So I told him I'd get back to him on that. Pulled out of his lot straight to the Toyota dealership down the road. A little twitching, some chain smoking, and a bunch of phone calls to my bookie and a few hours later, I drove off the lot with an impulse-purchased 2007 Prius, package #6. Fully loaded, gassed up. And blue.

So that was two weeks ago, and I have to say this is the car I should have bought years ago. Sure, it doesn't accelerate, handle, or haul down the highway nearly as well as the Barvarian Barbarian. And maybe it looks a little than a flying saucer than your average Republican may be comfortable with. But it has computers! Lots of them! Watching that little energy computer gizmo is going to get me into an accident. It's almost like a video game, and I picture getting those little arrows to point the right way will save some obscure endangered species of three-toed Brazilian shrub rat. It's almost.... karmic.

And there are a few options there that were expensive and high-end on the BMW that wind up on this car. Bluetooth is great for anyone that's tried to return a beeper call with a cellphone at 70 mph on the highway. That pushbutton start/startkey business was a disgustingly expensive, mostly pointless option on a BMW. On a Prius, it's practically standard. And the nav works better the little Garmin unit I was using before. (Apparently, the iDrive/nav option in the BMW is crap, so I didn't bother.)

And what about gas mileage? Prius owners never want to talk about gas mileage, do they? I had to fill the Beamer up every 3-4 days with oak-cask-aged premium...$45 a tank, which was roughly $250/month. (20-21 mpg) In two weeks, I've gassed up twice with plebian regular ("The Fuel Of The Masses"). I get 45-48mpg, and at this rate, with a 30 min mixed commute in the morning and various driving during the day, I'll finish up the month under $100.

And if that wasn't enough, not only do I get a $730 federal tax credit just for buying the thing but the state sends me a check for $500. It's like George W. and Eddie Rendell both remembered my birthday and kicked in for ice cream cake.

Oh, and the dealer threw in a bunch of free oil changes. Suh-weet!

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    I want to be the first to tell you, you are SO WELCOME here!
    Your sense of humor, and evident intelligence (you bought a Prius, right?) will spice up our discussions :D

Wait until you get into modifying your Prius!
    Take some photos, post pictures, name your Prius, and keep telling us how you love your new car :D

3. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

I like your writing style.

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was a good read. Welcome to the club!

5. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome! Yes, I know the pains of the Germans. I own a '99 Mercedes ML320. Everytime I went to the dealer, it was $500!!! Everytime. Once she got older, it wen't up to $1,000+!!! Crazy. at 95k, I went in for a trans recall or something. While there, they replaced some sensor/switch and leaking hose(should of know I was going to get hosed) at my expense of $700. At a 102k, The trans locks up!!!! Back to the dealer... It had nothing to do with what they did on the trans!!?? :angry: They wanted 5k to fix it!! I towed it out of there, went to a friends shop who found a used trans for 1k plus labor. Working fine now, but it does have a for sale sign on it... anyone?? I'll let it go for a good deal.. :rolleyes:
    On a positive note, back in my younger, faster days. I owned a '91 VW GTI 16V. Loved that car!! One night with two of my lady friends in the car, I was going 100+mph on a street in Chicago. Lost control and at almost full speed, ran into some cars at the light. The whole passanger side was crushed. I jumped out, my two friends banged there head, but also walked out with only minor bruises and headache. If it was some other compact car, I don't want to think what would of happened to us. My friend with his '92 GLI 16V had a similar experiance with 5 people in the car. Luckily it was only a broken collar bone.
    They did/do build safety from what I can tell. It just the dealerships over charge, and the parts are expensive.

They have lost a client for a very long time. I've owned 3 German cars, and will NOT buy another. Ok, when I make a bunch of money, I am buying my dream car... 911 Turbo B)

Alex

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure you don't write for the auto mags? You should! Stuff
    like that would be way better than the speed-n-power drivel they're
    full of now.
    _H*

7. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    you admit to being a republican...sorry to hear that :D

8. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Sep 1 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]505521[/snapback]</div>
    There are more of us out here than you think!!!!

9. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Sep 1 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]505521[/snapback]</div>
    He bought a blue Prius not a red one.

10. pottedmeat

pottedmeat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the warm welcome... and the quick replies! Evidence we all need some fresh air. I mostly need an outlet to express how much I enjoy this car.... The girlfriend is getting sick of hearing me talk about it. (She drives a Honda Fit, which we all know is such a gas guzzler.)

I was under the impression that German cars were supposed to be just as reliable as Japanese sedans, but apparently I just made this up to reassure myself that dropping money on a used Bimmer was a good idea. (I didn't mention that I bought that hunk of Teutonic junk in April 2006 with 49k on it. "Oh, but German cars will last forever!" my conscience told me. "It's totally worth it!" my conscience said. Going back, I realize the papers are all dated "April 1st, 2006" and my conscience is a notorious joker.)

And I've heard rumors about VW and their "longevity" so I'm not much tempted... In fact, I also just found out that VW owns a sizeable chunk of Porsche and share certain aspects of their designs. This collabrative brain trust can be thanked for the creation of the Toureg and the Cayenne... both are well known for being incredibly reliable and dependable. Unless you actually try to drive one, that is, in which case you risk immediate and catastrophic engine failure.

Before that car, I drove a 2000 Saturn SL1. Within 50,000 miles, I had somehow blown one of the cylinders. Because of this, it sputtered when I hit the gas while the tach shook harder than Michael J. Fox when I idled. Three trips to Mieneke (and $1500. George Foreman knows grills, but jack s**t about cars) didn't seem to fix the problem for more than 10 minutes at a time, so off I went to upgrade.

So now I'm soured on American cars and I'm soured on German cars. I'm running out of continents to purchase automobiles from until they start building cars in Antartica.

And honestly, it's pathetic that we have to import this kind of engineering from Japan. We should have come up with this first. It should have been ours. With oil around $75 a barrell and the US being the biggest consumer of oil on the planet, you think someone in Michigan would have had the bright idea to maybe bring back a redesigned Geo Metro or something.

Question = When gas prices reach all time highs, how should we react:

Japan: "Make smaller cars that use less gas!"
    US: "Government invade oil producing countries while Detroit lobbies government not to increase efficiency standards."
    Germany: "Invade Belgium." (To be fair, that's their answer to a lot of things.)

As for modifying this thing, I'm not sure what I can do to it without breaking it or making it spontaneously combust or something. Maybe some racing stripes? If only for ironic implication that I can race someone in this thing. Or maybe a bumper sticker that says "Suck my carbon footprint, bitches!"

And for that last little comment, how dare anyone insinuate that I'm a Republican! I'm an (un)registered independent, thank you very much, and if I hear that again, I am sooooo typing your address into my sweet nav system and tracking you down, each step being read to me in a pleasant female bringing you closer to doom! Muahaha!

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Sep 1 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]505521[/snapback]</div>
    He doesn't exactly admit to being Republican.

And even if he is....we can work on that.

12. Spoid

Spoid New Member

Enjoy the car! But watch out for Al Gore, I seriously worry about someone born 9 months after the Roswell incident. ;)

13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Yea, have to agree on the VW 16V's. I did my brother's clutch on his Scirocco 16V. The flywheel looked like the day it was put in there. Not sure what metal they used, but it was just buetiiifull. Kinda a redish brownish silvery color. Just a little brake cleaner to remove any resinous residue, and some emory cloth to put some tooth in it and it was ready for the clutch. Heck of a difference from my GM Opel Manta clutch, which had to be pulled and turned it was so chewed up.

Also have a friend who had all sorts of that kinda troubles with a ML. She eventually dumped it, but got the R wagon. Nice looking car, lets hope the tranny holds up.

Its not that German cars last forever, they are built to be repaired forever. When my brother was thinking about his second Scirocco, we knew VW's have very good initial quality (back then), but tend to get expensive to keep up. One winter the city here did a lousy job of salting the ice. He slid into a curb and folded under the left front. The thing was out of the shop, good as new within a week. Pretty straigtht forward repair for the mechanic who works on all cars, but races 911's. I had the same mechanic do my SL2 when I got nailed by junior driver risking a blind exit. My brother finally got rid of the Sciroco, rather than pay $1700 on a catalyic converter/header part, that was unique to the Sciroco, complete with electroformed bellows, which cracked.

For some reason, he was not interested in the Sprinter 2500 with the MB Diesel engine for a work truck, even tho he can drive 100 miles a day to jobs? Wonder why ? :rolleyes:

Welcome to PC !

14. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sliderule @ Sep 1 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]505534[/snapback]</div>
    where? in airport mens rooms? :p

And for that last little comment, how dare anyone insinuate that I'm a Republican! I'm an (un)registered independent, thank you very much, and if I hear that again, I am sooooo typing your address into my sweet nav system and tracking you down, each step being read to me in a pleasant female bringing you closer to doom! Muahaha!
    [/quote]
    republican!...come get me :p

15. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is Paul's wife, just to clarify.

I *love* my blue Prius! welcome to the club. And I would never insinuate that you are a republican. I myself am a proud independent.

also, Claire in Six Feet Under drove off ... in a blue Prius.

and the main character from Weeds drives ... a blue Prius.

and let's not forget Al Gore's son!

coincidence? I think NOT. I'm looking for the brick of controlled substances. it's in there somewhere!

Paul's wife ... signing off. I don't play on his messageboards, he doesn't play on mine. but sometimes we tell each other what's going on on each other's boards.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on your purchase! Love your stories! lol.

17. wbuttler

wbuttler New Member

Excellent post, I enjoyed it greatly
    welcome to the crew
    Froley