1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Break In - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by asaulo1, May 1, 2006.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Junior Member

just got our prius this weekend and was just curious if any one have recommendations with regards to breaking it in. Normal break in - 1250 miles with varying speeds? since the prius doesn't have a tachometer, just various levels of acceleration?

2. highroute

highroute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(asaulo1 @ May 1 2006, 08:28 AM) [snapback]247944[/snapback]</div>
    There are break-in recommendations in your manual.

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have not had to break in yet But I think I would use a brick on a side window... LOL J/K, check the manual...

4. asaulo1

asaulo1 Junior Member

all the manual says is to avoid sudden acceleration & deceleration...

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah, I have the same question when I first got my Prius. All I did was exactly what the manual says for the first thousand miles or so, and aviod going over 70mph. I'm almost at 25k miles now, and everything seems to be good.

6. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Because the computer adjusts the speed of the engine independently of the car speed, breaking in by avoiding certain speeds is not as important on the Prius as it is on other cars.

7. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

Drive it like you stole it :lol:

8. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just drive it! ;) The only important thing is that you don't drive tons of highway miles at constant speed. At constant highway speeds the rings are just loafing, instead of biting in and setting themselves.

9. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

Here's an interesting read. I broke in my last 4 motorcycles using this method. Seems to work very well. When ever I buy a new car I change the oil around 200 miles. You would be amazed at all the tiny shavings you will find.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

10. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FJRCRAZED @ May 1 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]248097[/snapback]</div>
    I don't mean to discredit you, but shouldn't all those "tiny shavings" be caught by the filter?

I read the webpage about "break-in secrets". I think I will trust Toyota (they actually made the Prius) more than a webpage that anybody can put up. If your engine failed and Toyota won't replace the engine under warranty because of "abuse", will this guy pay for your engine? Just some thoughts.

11. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Noticed a big improvemnet in reaching "glide" and milage after 3800 miles and temps above 45 (still chilly in NJ at night!)

12. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FJRCRAZED @ May 1 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]248097[/snapback]</div>
    I tried the street method and never could get my Prius into 4th gear. B)

13. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just drive it...then drive it some more. Get used to how it handles, and then put the consumption and/or energy screen up on the mfd and see how you're doing mpg-wise. Then see how making little changes in your driving habits (ie: coasting to a stop at a red light rather than braking hard at the last minute, feathering the gas pedal once you've reached your chosen speed to then maintain that speed rather than keeping the foot hardpressed on the accellerator, etc). And have fun while driving it!!! The Prius is a very fun car!