1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Break-in - Long Drive from Dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ardnhe, May 11, 2004.

1. ardnhe

ardnhe New Member

Well, my car (White #9) will be in on Friday, and I will fly to pick it up on Sat morning. My drive home from the dealership is about 400 miles. Any suggestions on how to drive this and keep within the boundaries of the break-in period. Anything that I shoud do or should not do during this drive home.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drive a reasonable speed (sub-60mph) and don't crash!!

Seriously, you'll probably hear that you should vary your speed and a million other theories on break in. But, unless you're driving on extremely flat terrain at exactly the same speed the ICE will vary it's rpms continually during your drive and that shouldn't be an issue.

Just drive and enjoy, maybe even bring a spouse/friend along to drive for a while while you read the owner's manual and play with the 'toys'.

3. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i agree, probably the only things you shouldn't be doing are using cruise control for long stretches over flat road, and driving fast.

4. JB

JB Junior Member

I drove my prius home 1700 miles in 2 days when i first bought it. There were no problems with the long distance. Just don't use cruise for the first 600 miles and try to drive more gently (no hard stops, fast starts, etc.) Congrats on getting your car. This car is great for long distances. The NAV system (if you get it) is very helpful in unfamiliar places. :D

5. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Remove those ridiculous wheel covers, exposing those lovely alloy rims you paid so dearly for. No tolls required; just use your fingertips to pop them loose and remove.

Put the wheel covers in a clean plastic bag, tape it shut and store them until you sell or trade the car.

1. Your wheels will be MUCH easier to clean and wax.
    2. They will weigh less (every ounce adds to unspring weight).
    3. They will balance out much smoother without those silly spring-loaded plastic discs rattling around on them.

Whether you do this or not, you are going to have a truly fun drive home.

Enjoy it!

Bob

6. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bring a quality tire pressure gauge along. Check pressures and adjust before leaving the dealership. Too many Toyotas are delivered with shipping pressures, ~50 psi, that make for twitchy handling and a harsh ride. Easy on the brakes for the first 200 miles. The inside rearview mirror is double jointed. Pivot it up at both the windshield and mirror base for improved visibility in both directions. Have fun!

7. Johno

Johno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I too will be driving soon to pick up my Salsa #9. Over 300 miles. This info is valuable. Thank you. Nobody has yet responded to my question about the factory mats. I have never seen them so I don't know whether they are worth the $180 or should I look at aftermarket mats?

8. chris_b_01

chris_b_01 New Member

Every dealer that I have visited had the floor mats already on the sticker

It was $184 which I thought was a bit steep.... until I realized:

It's a PRIUS and people want the car

9. Johno

Johno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The mats are a Dealer added option. You don't have to buy them. It just pisses me off when you ask for a quote on something and it includes customer add-ons that you didn't ask for. Like your not going to notice. I guess some people don't notice and that's why they do it. I guess Toyota is throwing the dealers a bone here.

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can get them at www.Toyotapartsstore.com (A PriusChat Sponsor) for $86.40 & $77.90 for the cargo mat:

Check out this link.

11. chris_b_01

chris_b_01 New Member

Thanks for the link.... but if dealers have them on the sticker, and won't remove them we are basically stuck paying the $184, right?

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the tip about buying a good tire pressure guage should be buy a good digital tire pressure guage. Most of them are very accurate, mine cost 9$ Canadian about 6$ US and it reads 1/2 pound low at 45. My wife's digital is exactly the same. A puematics engineer checked them. When I picked up my Prius I thought the ride was really good compared to the wife's 2k4 and when I checked sure enough 28 front 23 rear. Straight to a gas station and 42 front 40 rear's and then drove 1788Km in 2 days. I just set it on cruise and let the hills take care of not letting the ICE run at one steady rpm. Just drive it, it's a Toyota and nothing you can do will really hurt it. Just avoid really hard braking if you can for the first couple of hundred miles.

13. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Be sure to regulate your speed. Every, like 10 or 15 min, go down 5 mph and then 10 or 15 min later go back up 5mph. That will let the engine get different speeds.

Brian

14. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I've tried a variety of professional-grade digital and analog tire pressure gauges and always return to my favorite Longacre analog gauge. I've found the difference to be repeatability of a reliable reading. The digitals I've tried, including the best Longacre gauge, can produce a variation of +/- 2 psi between samples seconds apart.

That might not seem like much, but in a racing environment, it can be the difference between success and failure. In a street environment, it could mean a skewed FF/RR differential leading to undesirable handling and premature tire wear.

I know the gauge in my link is spendy, but it's the last you'll ever need, requires no batteries, is visible in the dark, has a built in bleeder valve for easy adjustment, and has an easy to read full scale deflection. OTOH, I've compared it favorably to a $4.99 NAPA pencil gauge that was more repeatable than any digital I tried, although they become unreliable after a year or so. My 2¢.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.longacreracing.com/images/products/tires/50402.jpg

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing is, Brian, that as long as you're not on completely level terrain the ICE RPM will vary adequately due to the ECVT so slowing and speeding up isn't necessary like on traditional transmission vehicles.

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, what Dr. Fusco said. Advice about varying your speed applies to old-style transmissions, not to this hybrid drive.

Toyota's Prius manual says exactly two things about break-in; paraphrasing:
    1. Don't brake hard in the first 200 miles. (I surmise this is to polish the brake surfaces.)
    2. Accelerate gently and don't go faster than 60 MPH for the first 600 miles. (Presumably to allow the engine's bearing surfaces to "wear into" each other.)

You may feel some frustration observing point #2 on your 400 mile (interstate highway?) drive home, but remember that a proper break-in can benefit the car forever.

You might examine, download and take with you the delivery checklists from http://www.vfaq.net/

Anything the dealer tries to sell you is negotiable. You don't *have* to buy floormats any more than you *have* to accept a dealer's "holdback adjustment" or anything else. Of course with a Prius you're doing well to get MSRP... It may encourage you to know that few weeks after signing my purchase agreement I called the dealer to order the floormats. They have "Prius" embroidered on them and they look nice!

17. ardnhe

ardnhe New Member

Thanks all for the information. I will bring a tire presure gauge with me in addition to the pick up check list and a copy of the pre-delivery check list. I have already read the manual and the Nav manual so I am fairly well versed with the vehicle. Timing will the issue here. The car is set to be delivered early Friday morning, I fly in at about noon, and if all goes well hope to driving home by mid to late afternoon. Dealership says they can turn the car around in half a day or less. Price is MSRP and I am paying cash so their are no trade-in or loan issues.

Anything else I should be aware of.

Thanks,
    Tom

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, they'll hit you up for things like Toyoguard and a few other pure profit items you don't need. Think about the extended warranty, but don't feel compelled to buy. You very well may want to get it later, but the usual asking price by dealers is $1650 for the 7yr/100k mile/$0 deductible version. That same warranty can be purchased any time in the first 3 years/36k miles for $980 elsewhere.

Some links to review on the Warranty:
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota...s/message/61384

and especially good:
    http://www.vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html

I would even print that out, take it with you and see if your dealer can meet or nearly so (say $1000 or $1035 which is what I paid) that makes it worth the convenience of getting it over with but you'll be armed with evidence of what you can and will get elsewhere if they can't meet the price (which still gives them a little profit).

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On the other hand, the dealer does not have to sell you the car, unless you have a written contract. But a good dealer will accept your "No" on all the add-ons.

20. fred

fred New Member

and of course my good ole motorcycle advice as always"drive it like you stoal it!"