1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

break in period?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by djkarrels, May 7, 2006.

1. djkarrels

djkarrels beermandave

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi all, third tank just put in, and have it the 1,000 mile barrier.

Do I get the oil changed now, like the sales rep suggested, or am I ok for a while?

When should I really start using the cruise control?

And lastly, for you physics majors out there, it's finally getting warmer up here in Milwaukee. Better to ride at 45-50 with the driver's side window down or to turn on the vent? Mileage has decreased from first tank, from 50.2 mpg on the first tank, to 43.23 on the 3rd tank. Overall average 46.19.

Will be learning driving techniques at Milwaukee Area Hybrid Owners meeting sometime yet this month.

Thanks all

Still trying to figure out a name for the prius

Beermandave

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    - Change your oil every 5,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first

- break-in is 1000 miles. Do not use cruise control for the first 200 miles. You're cleared

- A/C vs windows --> whatever makes you more comfortable. I prefer A/C since I don't like wind buffetting at my face at 45-50mph. Also, because this car is aerodynamic, it has more potential for streamlining and besides, the A/C is run off the HV battery. As long as you don't demand it be a freezer inside the car, you'll be fine

3. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

What he said. No need for early oil changes.

I only put my windows down below, oh, 30-35 MPH, when drag won't be a problem.

Post a "Name My Prius" thread and see what you get. We're easily amused. And dirt cheap.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Changing the oil early due to "break in" is an old wives tale. Run the oil to the normal oil change interval.

If you wish, search the forum for my user name and Used Oil Analysis. I've posted oil analysis running Mobil 1 0W-30 and Mobil 1 0W-20: this motor is EASY on oil.

FWIW the EU Prius has a 12 month or 16,000km oil change interval, with no early oil change due to "break in." Some EU cars, like the VW Golf with PD diesel motor, have a normal 24 month or 50,000km oil change interval. No reports of them blowing up motors either.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to improve fuel economy keep the windows up. Windows down seriously changes the airflow around the car. Even more so on the Prius than with other cars, it's better to use the A/C than to roll down a window. And after an initial cooldown it's better to stay on recirculate (I stay on recirc continuously 'cos I hate to suck in all the Diesel exhaust and other crap from outside).

6. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ May 8 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]251416[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree, I have owned 6 Cars/Trucks and 5 motorcycles over the last 15 years. I always change the oil around 500 miles. With my bikes I change it around 75-100 miles. You would not believe the amount of small shavings and filings you will find after your 1st and 2nd oil changs. Here's good read for everyone. You can't use this for the Prius, however its still a good read.
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

7. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry to bump up a really old thread, but what is the reason not to use the cruise control for the first 200 miles of driving?

When I get my Prius I do plan to take it on the long distance trip to Texas, and I use the cruise quite often to save wear on my leg. Course 200 miles is about 3 hours 20 minutes of driving so I would assume after that you could use it then.

I was just curious on that one. Besides, by the time I make the return trip (at 2,400 miles) then the car should be broken in by then.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Personally, I can't think of a reason to not use the cruise. I don't remember the mileage but relatively early in my ownership I drove him from Chicago to Nebraska and back. No problems.

9. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

There's no reason not to use the cruise. The only thing the manual says about the break-in period is that it is something like 600 miles long (don't have it in front of me but I think that's right) and that you shouldn't brake hard or slam on the accelerator during that period. Of course, you shouldn't do either of those after the break-in period either.

I started using cruise from the day we picked up our Prius.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On regular cars, you don't use the cruise control cause you don't want the engine speed to remain constant.

11. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's at least one situation in which CC would be harmful during the break-in period: going up a long steep hill, the CC could make the engine race at max RPMs.

12. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just followed what was in the manual. After that I took the engine up higher and higher every few days until I just decided to floor it and see what my baby could do. B) I haven't had any problems so far other than some small stuff not related to the engine.

13. globalcivilian

globalcivilian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I heard that the manual indicates the following: For the first 200miles--Avoid sudden stops; For the first 600 miles--do not drive at high speeds, avoid sudden acceleration, o not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

I can guess at most of these, but what is considered high speeds? Is that 45 mph, 70 mph or 100 mph? What is considered constant speed for extended periods? Is that 15 minutes, 2 Hours, or 7 Hours?

14. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's endless debate on the subject. Not more than 60 MPH and not longer than 15 minutes surely cannot possibly cause a problem. The 600 miles will pass quickly.