1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Break in period

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Will B, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I actually read the manual and saw all the bits on break-in period, but with a plug-in the suggestions seem to just be ICE boilerplate info. Break-in is for the engine mostly, right? I'm at just over 200 miles so far and have actually not even used the ICE yet. By the time I get to 600 miles there is a decent chance less than 50 of those will have used the ICE, possibly even zero. Electric range has been more than enough for all my in-city trips. Should I purposely drive in HV mode for a bit to get ICE miles? It does matter as I will be going on a 5,000 mile road trip in a few months and do want the car broken in before starting that trip. Crossing eastern Colorado and Kansas is something I prefer to do at full highway speed! :)

will

FuelMiser likes this.
  2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    First 200 miles are for the engine and brake pads, the remaining miles are just for the engine.

In your particular case, I would probably spend extra time in HV mode to build up the ICE miles prior to your cross country trip. Personally, I'd do my first oil change prior to the trip no matter how many miles you have at the time, but there are definitely arguments for and against that. (Mostly down to whether you believe a break-in oil change is useful or wasteful on a modern Toyota engine.)

3. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Hammersmith: OK on for the brake pads, didn't know that, but makes sense given the advice. I figger I'm good at using regenerative braking given my Gen1 Prius I retired to get this new one still has the original brake pads even after 20 years and 220,000 miles.

I do think I will try a bit of HV mode for the next few weeks. Doing errands on pure electric is fun though. I even purposely drive with the windows down so I hear nothing! :)

I do see the threads of the early oil replacement. I do see both arguments too, so not sure what I'll do just yet. I have a bit of time to think about it.

will

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would bite the bullet and get the 600 miles out of the way on the engine so you don’t forget. It’s only one tank of gas

soft_r likes this.
  5. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Bisco: Yep, did today's errands in hybrid instead of electric mode. Kinda fun to enjoy the extra horsepower of both engines. I kept telling my wife in the passenger seat: This isn't just for fun, it's necessary! Not sure she believed me. :) Not overdoing it per the manual, but both motors is still more than what I was getting on electric alone.

will

bisco likes this.
  6. peternumber2

peternumber2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer said there was no break in period for my phev.

So I've gone on a 1400 km trip (mostly high speed highway on ICE) after just 600 km....90% electric though....

Do I have to expect early ice wear?

Damn....dealer!

7. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You believed the dealer?! When their lips are moving...you know the rest

8. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking about going there and ask them for an explanation.

9. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I would try reading the owners manual and see what information is there. The dealer wants to sell and service cars. To do that, they will tell you what they think you want to hear.

10. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Manual says a break in period is required...

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd never go there again.
    For ANYTHING.
    EVER.

If they're not lying?
    They're incompetent.

Neither needs an explanation, and really?
    Would you, SHOULD you believe them?

reallyreal likes this.
  12. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I Need to go there to get my second key... whenever it's delivered....and I will ask them why they stated that...grrrr

13. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

I'm going to claim a free oil change!:mad:

soft_r and DOHCtor like this.
  14. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Most likely not, I wouldn't worry about it, but now you know.
    Those speeds you ran up and back from the Alps are now firmly in place in the cars history data and all that implies and or doesn't really make all that much difference, depending on the owners / your preferences.

15. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    You can deal with Any Toyota dealer for the 2nd key. Igot mine from a dealer closer to me than the selling dealer.

vvillovv likes this.
  16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would not have left with only one fob to begin with.
    They either would have 'found' another fob' or somebody else would have gotten a new G5.

If they cannot source fobs, what other supply issues might the dealership be encountering??
    What if something else breaks on the car?
    What if you lose your ONE fob?

Hard pass.

I tried for 3 months to buy a Toyota, but fortunately my 30+ year boycott of that company was saved by the SE Toyota group.
    In addition to being over-priced to begin with their sales department was a little too 'oily' for me personally.
    Dealerships are like politicians or spouses.
    There ARE no 'little lies.'

After casting a 1000 mile net, I decided to get a domestic and hope that it is as reliable as its last 5 out of 6 predecessors.

17. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    They made me sign a kind a paper stating that i allow them to sell the car with only one electronic key and a mechanical one, and, when the second electronic key is avaialble, they will call me to collect it. In the meanwhile, if i lose the only electronici key i have, they will pay for the electronic system resetting.

18. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, i don't undestrand what you mean....

19. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    change your oil if you're worried about it. Curse your dealer if you think it'll do any good or change their behavior.
    You took a longish trip when the car was new, nothing unusual, but you might not have taken that trip in the new car if you'd known about the breakin period.
    Are you asking what you can do to change how you car was broken in? I took a long trip when my Prime was new too. Cest La Vie, I wouldn't have driven it the way I did on that first long trip either, if I'd kown a bit more about the car before I took that trip.

peternumber2 likes this.
  20. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    When i had my brand new Civic Si in 2012, it got broken in on a racetrack the day it was delivered to me. True Story! Not that it even bothered.. at a bit over 350k km, it finally got tuned and gave about 205whp (180whp with a couple of bolt ons before the tune)Now, at a bit less then 500k km, the K24 maybe runs thru a cup of oil every 15k km.. maybe even less..

I'm older now so of course i didn't do that to the Prius but that little story was only to tell you to drive the thing normally during breaking in.. However, i'm a fan of changing the oil early after 1000km or so...