1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Break-in Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SteveWantsaPrius, Sep 20, 2010.

1. SteveWantsaPrius

SteveWantsaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I estimate I will have about 550-600 miles of combined driving on the clock by the end of the week when I will need to take a 300 mile road trip thats mostly all hwy driving. Any break-in concerns? Thanks for any info.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With that mileage, none really. Just keep from reving the crap out of it (really high speeds/passing like a bullet) and enjoy the ride.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No not really.. but there's the usual stuff in the manual....

For the first 1,000 miles:

- no hard braking
    - no jackrabbit starts
    - don't go over 50mph (well.. it's not forbidden, just not recommended. Not sure why 50mph)
    - Vary your speed. don't cruise at any speed, slow or fast (moreso for regular Toyotas without a CVT. A CVT would vary the engine rpm anyway).

for the first 200 miles
    - don't use cruise control
    - don't tow anything (not applicable since the Prius can't tow)

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You don't have to worry about varying speeds with the HSD as the RPM of the engine does vary on its' own with the slight varying of the terrain. It's not fixed to your speed as in obsolete vehicle designs.
    The main reason for the break-in "rules" is to avoid overheating the rings. They can overheat in small sections if they have to "machine" any metal. With the fine factory finishing we see these days this has pretty much gone away. The "rules" are still there, mostly due to tradition.
    The braking part is to avoid overheating the small part of the disks that is touching at first. As they are used the pads wear so that the touching part is spread over the entire surface, so you will have a harder time overheating any part.

The higher your speed the more power the engine must produce. The more power the higher the temperatures generated. Hence the 50 MPH "limit". You already have enough miles on the car to raise that max. speed to over 60 MPH and because the machining is no longer a problem due to the finer factory finishing it's really not a problem.

I took a brand new Toyota (1990 model) on a 2500 km trip on the highway and it caused no problems. I traded it in after 12 years of use with 150,000 km on it, still not burning any oil and working just fine. I also took Pearl on a highway trip when she was new and it caused no problems. Even hit 5000 RPM a couple of times. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the history behind the numbers!

6. PhinneyJohn

PhinneyJohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am on the verge of buying a new Prius and have a question about the 50 mph guideline mentioned above. In the pdf of the owners manual I downloaded from this site (lost the link), it simply says "Do not drive at excessive speeds" for the first 600 miles. Is over 50 mph really considered "excessive", or am I missing some other guideline?

The other thing I'll add is that this site has been a terrific resource for me as I've narrowed down my purchasing decision. I'm looking forward to being a member of the community.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    "Excessive speeds" means over 70 MPH. Remember, the car is made in Japan, where it's considered by many anti-social and criminal to exceed the posted limit. I hope even we in Alberta will eventually come around to that view, but I'm not holding my breath! ;)