1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

break-in suggestions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 9across, Jul 29, 2006.

1. 9across

9across New Member

I'm getting my <new> Prius in a
    week or so and was wondering about recommendations while breaking in the new
    car.

Also, I'm undecided about getting an extended warranty, and am leaning
    towards it. My thinking in I'm getting a Toyota in part for it's
    reliability, yet the Prius is new technology and if anything does happen it
    will be expensive to have it worked on. I will be driving a lot of miles,
    almost 30,000 in the last 12 months, so I will blow through the original
    warranty in a little over a year.

I'm looking forward to getting my Prius!

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Break-in. To paraphrase the owner's manual: in the first 600 miles don't slam on the brakes, don't stomp on the gas, and avoid "excessive speed". A cautious guess is that "excessive speed" is more than 60 MPH. Nothing else is needed because, unlike old-style transmissions, Prius engine RPMs are not directly related to the car's speed.

Extended warranty. The current model Prius will be three years old by the time you get yours, so three year's worth of bugs have already been found and fixed. Extended warranties are priced to make a profit for the seller, not the buyer. If instead you keep the price of the warranty in the bank you will come out ahead. If you must have one you can buy it any time while your original warranty is still in effect, in other words, don't be pressured into buying it when you pick up the car. Any dealer can sell you one, even online, and often at a significant discount.

Take a delivery inspection checklist with you: http://www.vfaq.net/docs/pickup_checklist.html

3. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vary the rpms of the gas engine as much as possible during the first 500-1000 miles. This will develop a smooth powerband and provide longer life for the engine. I know this is contrary to best gas mileage practice but it does work and will increase the performance, efficiency, and longevity of the engine. Otherwise avoid stomping on it and hard braking as much as possible.