1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

breaking in period & first oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stock, Oct 7, 2008.

1. stock

stock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Any additional suggestions for the initial breaking in period including driving and any issues at first service such as oil, etc?

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    During the break-in period try to avoid driving a constant speed for long distances, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem with the Prius with the way it varies the engine speed constantly.
    As far as first service, just follow the recommended service intervals of 5000 miles in the manual. I do all of my service myself and I prefer synthetic oil, but it is not required. If you are planning on paying the dealership to service your vehicle become familiar with the service schedule manual that way they don't rip you off.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. Read the Owner's Manual and the Scheduled Maintenance Guide. Do what they say. Don't let a service writer sell you other stuff such as a "standard service package", 'because you'd get serviced, all right...

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My car, I'd get the first engine oil (and filter) change early because we know that even Prius sheds a small amount of wear metal during breaking-in. Note this is a minority opinion at PriusChat, so my esteemed fellow engine oil fanatics may suggest otherwise.

5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just follow the manual, and find something else to worry aabout.