1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Breaking in Question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jec, Jul 5, 2009.

1. jec

jec New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I couldn't find this answer when searched and don't know where to ask, so please don't hurt a newb here.

I was reading the manual found online for my soon to be Prius 10 and was wondering if someone could clarify this entry:

"To extend the life of the vehicle, the following precautions are recommended to observe.
    For the first 200 miles,
    avoid sudden stops

For the first 600 miles,
    do not drive at extremely high speeds,
    avoid sudden acceleration
    do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods of time."

So ok, the sudden stops no prob--I hope never to have to do that. But 600 miles--
    What is extremely high speeds?
    What is sudden acceleration (as in a little lead foot to pass--which I also try to avoid)?
    What is exteded periods of time?

I have a 35 minute freeway commute twice a day which I normally set the cruse control around 78 and just roll. Should I not do this? Am I going to have to let my husband drive my new car in this break in period??? (No Way) TIA

2. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A little acceleration as in passing is OK, may even be good. Dragster type starts, and flooring it to see if you can actually do 0-60 in 10.3 secs not good.

78 mph a bit high. I would keep it to 65, which is legal where I live. (I know, you will get mowed down if you try that in some spots in California).

Extended periods of time: 5 mins? 20 mins?

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is the same for all cars as the engine breaks in. It would be best to vary your speed a bit during break-in. But in all honesty as long as you aren't driving like a road rage maniac I wouldn't worry too much about it at all. And about the brakes, Sudden stops are still better then Sudden Collisions.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. Turn off the cruise control and drive the speed limit. C'mon, you can do it for 600 miles :_>

5. jec

jec New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My speed limit here is 75. Would be hard to go lower than that but I'll try!

Thanks for your help!