1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Breaking in (running in)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by gazz, May 1, 2007.

1. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just completed my first full tank (new 2007), and got 52 US mpg over 528 miles and am very pleased.

Has anybody got any information on running in and how it will impact on mpg. Normally I use the full rev range but keep the load down, but because I am so obsessed with mpg I am drive for economy, will this be a problem.

Thanks

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi gazz, congratulations on your new Prius and its first tank. Don't worry too much about MPG for the first few hundred miles. The manual (I know you'll read it cover to cover) suggests you drive your car gently for the first 600 miles. Since you have no direct control over the ICE RPM, just don't drive up any mountains at high speed, even if you could in the UK, and don't do any panic stops unless you really need to.

Many members have noticed increased fuel economy at around 6,000 miles, and again at around 22,000 miles, but YMMV. Read the threads on Pulse and Glide, but first learn your car and don't obsess over FE until you understand how your car works.

Welcome to PriusChat!

3. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ May 1 2007, 02:48 AM) [snapback]433108[/snapback]</div>
    I have spent a lot of time reading up on the various techniques from when I had a car on test for 4 days. Since then I have increase my FE by 10mpg using pulse and glide. Just trying to track down other tricks to get even better, It’s easy to become obsessed, but at least it is an obsession driving within the speed limit.