1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BREAKING NEWS: President Bush to announce resignation

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by larkinmj, Apr 1, 2007.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

The nation is finally a true democracy!

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You left out the part OBL has called of the jihad and converted to Kaballah.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I can't wait for the neocon reaction to President Nancy Pelosi! :lol:

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Apr 1 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]416083[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! You guys are having a Wet Dream wide awake! :lol:

BTW America is a Constitutional Republic and in a nutshell here is the difference

The difference between a Democracy and a Republic is that in a Republic there are certain things that can never be done no matter how many people want to do it !

and here's why it matters according to some other writers. . .

http://www.thelibertycommittee.org/repdem.pdf

http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/American...cts/demrep.html

http://www.tax-freedom.com/ta19007.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/sergeman/cliches/democracy.html

Wildkow

6. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    April Fool !!!

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I actually took the time to look at a few of the links you posted (I don't know why!) I particularly like the one that refers to the "liberal siren song that in modern America each voter’s vote must be weighed equally." I take it you don't believe that everyone's vote should count equally, then.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 1 2007, 04:25 PM) [snapback]416112[/snapback]</div>
    Like make same-sex marriage illegal?

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 1 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]416122[/snapback]</div>
    That would be the libertarian view (what goes on in one's bedroom is no one else's business). While I don't agree with libertarianism, at least they're consistent.
    However, the right selectively applies this philosophy to ensuring that the "masses" do nothing to hinder their persoanl gain. So they decry income taxes, corporate regulations, etc. On the other hand, they are very happy to invoke the "majority rule" to inhibit the freedom of individuals when it suits their moralistic purposes.

10. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Apr 1 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]416120[/snapback]</div>

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 1 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]416121[/snapback]</div>
    Did you see my name listed as the author of any of those links? Nope you didn't I merely supplied the link so that you could view a variety of POV's on the subject. Regardless of what either of us think about the authors opinions the truth remains the same i.e. America is a Republic. BTW everyones vote has counted equally in every election that has taken place since the creation of this nation.

Here's what the Founding Fathers had to say about establishing America as a Democracy. . .

[D]emocracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security, or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison

Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide. John Adams

A democracy is a volcano which conceals the fiery materials of its own destruction. These will produce an eruption and carry desolation in their way. The known propensity of a democracy is to licentiousness [excessive license] which the ambitious call, and ignorant believe to be liberty.5 Fisher Ames, Author of the House Language for the First Amendment

We have seen the tumult of democracy terminate . . . as [it has] everywhere terminated, in despotism. . . . Democracy! savage and wild. Thou who wouldst bring down the virtuous and wise to thy level of folly and guilt. Gouverneur Morris, Signer and Penman of the Constitution

[T]he experience of all former ages had shown that of all human governments, democracy was the most unstable, fluctuating and short-lived. John Quincy Adams

A simple democracy . . . is one of the greatest of evils. Benjamin Rush, Signer of the Declaration

In democracy . . . there are commonly tumults and disorders. . . . Therefore a pure democracy is generally a very bad government. It is often the most tyrannical government on earth. Noah Webster

Pure democracy cannot subsist long nor be carried far into the departments of state, it is very subject to caprice and the madness of popular rage. John Witherspoon, Signer of the Declaration

It may generally be remarked that the more a government resembles a pure democracy the more they abound with disorder and confusion. Zephaniah Swift, Author of America's First Legal Text

During the founding of the US, Alexander Fraser Tytler, a Scottish historian/professor reportedly said this on the fall of the Athenian republic:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years."

Wildkow

12. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    APRIL FOOLS!!??

13. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel Flight Pilot @ Apr 2 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]416526[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it was an April Fools joke (wishful thinking, perhaps). "FNN" is for "Fools News Network", although it could equally represent Fox "News" (a no more reliable news source). But I wonder how many of you saw this yesterday and clicked on CNN.com, just to make sure? :)

14. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 1 2007, 08:48 PM) [snapback]416195[/snapback]</div>

Weird.... America has been around a little over 200 years, and I'd say that paragraph well describes what's happening in our political system today. Maybe that proves we are a Democracy! Hooray for us!

15. Mirza

Mirza New Member

LOL Kow totally missed the boat!

So what are you implying Kow? That the freedom and liberties that Faux News talks about defending is worthless? (Heh - how's that for an inconvenient truth!?)

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Apr 2 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]416657[/snapback]</div>
    What on Earth are you babbling about Mirzable?!? Whatever it is it's about as intelligent as TonyP saying he baited me into calling him a "RummyDumbScumOfABlowHole" with smiley faces I might add, so that he could ban me.

Now go back to your self-induced wet-dream. :lol:

Wildkow

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 1 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]416108[/snapback]</div>
    Will have to wait until she makes Syria the 51st state :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 1 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]416122[/snapback]</div>
    I think perhaps the majority of Americans are against same-sex marriage - or is this one area since you support it that minority "rights" should trump majority beliefs?

18. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]416953[/snapback]</div>
    So you're saying that regardless of the issue at hand, your beliefs should supersede the rights of others, as long as you're on the side of the majority? I pray for you that you never end up in the position of being a minority in any respect then because nobody will come to your aid when your rights are thrown away.

Just because minority rights are protected does not take away our "Democracy" status. The rights we respect are part of our democratic system, and I'm sure that if voters decided to do away with all those pesky amendments to the constitution, they could. Thankfully, enough Americans have a basic understanding and respect for those things, regardless of ideology.

19. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 3 2007, 05:25 AM) [snapback]416942[/snapback]</div>
    And Neocons wonder why Liberals feel superior to them...

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 3 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]417010[/snapback]</div>
    actually, everyone wonders why liberals feel superior to them.