1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Breaks Grinding Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Darklandscape, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Darklandscape

Darklandscape Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Front brakes have 1/3 of the pad left, they are ceramic breaks from napa.

Rear brakes have 1/3 left, are oem.

I believe the sound is coming from the front,
    Do you have any idea why?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How many years approximately have the pads been on the car brake pad material does break down It does crack and can even fall out fall on the ground It's as hard as a rock heat to fix it time affects it especially also when your break accumulator and pump starts to fail and it gets in the latter stages it can hold calipers dragging I had this happen in my generation too right before the ABS pump and accumulator was totally shot and only one caliper would work at that point The left front but just before that all the brakes were working pretty much fine with the lights on but they would scrape in the front not a lot just enough to be irritating

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Prius brakes (not breaks) are not used much due to regenerative braking so the rotors ten to rust. This will cause the brakes to make grinding noises. Periodically get your Prius up to 20-30 MPH, put it in neutral (turns off regenerative braking) and lightly apply the brakes to clean the rotor surfaces. Repeat this process a few times and the noise will go away.

JeffD

xliderider and Montgomery like this.
  4. Darklandscape

Darklandscape Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update:

Issue has been fixed, it was just the front break pads. They were from Napa
    I replaced them with Duralast Gold Ceramic Breaks.