1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bridgestone EP422Plus versions dispelled...?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mpgz, Feb 11, 2018.

?
  1. US

75.0%
  2. Mexico

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Japan

25.0%
  1. mpgz

mpgz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Long time reader here, maybe my first post. Thanks for being such a wealth of knowledge.

Instead of bumping this thread: Feedback of Ecopia EP422 plus? | Page 8 | PriusChat , I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm at 61k on my factory Yoko Avid S33, and I'm in critical need of new tires for my 2011. I've spent entirely too much time trying to decide, and after striking out on the Michelin Energy Saver A/S (not available), I'm looking at the EP422 plus for their LRR performance. There's been some discussion on the board about the 3 versions available (US, Mexico, and Japan), but little about which is the better choice.

From the thread above, these are the 3 versions (the later is the Japan version): ep422.png ep422c.png

Here are the specs from Tire Rack which matches the photos. Tire Rack.jpg

The biggest difference between the US and MX is the tread design (4 rib verse 5), wear rating (640 vs 540) and max pressure (51 psi vs 44).

The Japanese version has a lower load & speed rating, and a wear pattern that falls between the US and MX versions (600).

If you're rolling on EP422 plus tires, which version did you buy? Are you happy with them?

I'm leaning toward the US version for the better wear, speed, and pressure, but the heavy grooving seems excessive (not to mention the missing rubber)
    Thanks!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the Japanese version because that's what Toyota chose to put on my car in the factory.
    Mine have the 44 psi max rating too.I only have 14K miles on then so I cannot rate them. Perhaps other tires would be quieter. I have not tried others to compare.

3. mpgz

mpgz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That makes sense that the OEM would be the Japan version. It's almost odd to me that we'd be able to buy all 3 versions in the US.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why? It looks like the Mexico version is used by Volkswagen. They need tires too.

5. mpgz

mpgz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right... so my thought would be... the Japanese factory equips Toyota factories in Japan... Mexico equips VW plants in Mexico. US supplies non-OEM to US.

I'm not here to necessarily question the supply chain management. I'm just trying to figure out if there might be a reason to pick one over another.

Thanks for your reply.

#5 mpgz, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Look at the tread patterns. You’re in Indiana. I don’t know how it snows in your particular location, but the Japanese version with larger sipes may be better suited for that.....

7. mpgz

mpgz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am in Indiana, but I rarely drive the prius in the winter. I take a bus to school, and usually only use it on the weekend for errands. I'm moving to NC in a year, so winter traction doesn't weigh heavily on my decision.

Discount tire has an awesome President's Day sale, so I called them to order the tires. Interestingly enough, the only tires he was able to get from their supplier was the US version. The US version was also the only one that showed any sort of warranty, for which the US boasts a 70k mile claim.

So, it looks like my decision was made for me. If you need tires, $100 off a set of 4 this weekend at Discount Tire. I'll be at $411 installed for the EP422 plus, said and done. They have a similar online deal going this week.

jzchen likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just throw up your hands and get EP20?

9. mpgz

mpgz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm gonna roll the dice and see how it goes with the US version of the EP422 Plus. I could get the Conti True Contacts for about $355 installed (on sale), but most have posted a 5-10% MPG hit with those. Some spread-sheeting shows it more $ advantageous to go with the EP422Plus... Time will tell if I'll regret it. Anything will be better than the slicks I'm rolling on now. I'm ashamed at how bad they are and astonished they still hold air.

I'd like to keep to poll going though. Might be nice to know what most are rolling on, and see if there is any way to glean a difference (life or performance) across the 3 models.

Mendel Leisk likes this.