1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broke module screw

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by k1ngn0thing, Mar 27, 2018.

1. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Putting battery back together. Snapped one module screw off in the bottom, stripped another. Will it function without these screws?

2. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It will still function. The screw does nothing more that secure the module down to the battery fame assembly.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it is the ones holding the module to the bottom it would not be the end of the world.
    For a bit more safety I would put the stripped/broken module in the middle, as opposed to leaving it on the end.

Take a moment to go buy an inch-pound torque wrench so that you can be sure you are properly tightening connections.
    Especially on the battery terminals and the HV connections at the contactor.

donbright likes this.
  4. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    snapped because it wasn't perfectly aligned. they're in the middle and everything's back together so I don't think it'll cause an issue in the forseeable future.

tangerino likes this.
  5. tangerino

tangerino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did the same, appreciate the post OP.

Does anyone know if there is a standard replacement size I can buy in a hardware store or from Toyota?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#5 tangerino, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not exactly sure what you’re looking for, but McMaster Carr have pretty much everything hardware, worth a look.

7. tangerino

tangerino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking for one of the 8mm(?) Hex screws that bolts into the bottom of each battery module to hold it into the case bottom. Not sure if it's a standard size so thought I'd check here and see if anyone knows the spec.

Wouldn't want to try one that threads differently and end up worse off than before. That said, I would still need you figure out how to extract the broken piece already inside the module so I'll probably just leave it as is for now

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If one of the hold down screws is broken off in the module, just leave it alone and reassemble the pack. A missing screw or two won't make a big difference. Are you using a torque wrench on the fasteners?

tangerino likes this.