1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken Clip in Left Wheel Well

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JimN, Aug 2, 2011.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I noticed that the plastic cover in the right rear wheel well seems to have a broken clip. Has this happened to anyone else? How significant is this? How big is the job? How much will have to be disassembled? Am I better off leaving it alone? I'm inclined to get it replaced under warranty (< 5000 miles left) but I can live with it if they have to tear the car apart.

This is a shot of the left rear wheel well showing the clip in the proper location. So far I haven't been able to get a good clear shot of the broken one.

Thanks for the advice.

Jim.

Attached Files:

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did the fender pop out over the top of the tab or is the tab missing completely?

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not supposed to be fully seated and it just hangs over. Is that what you mean or is it actually cracked?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You need to somehow lock exposure on the wheel well. If you've only got auto-exposure, try either of the following:

1) Move in enough to exclude the brighter body.

2. Put something black over the brighter body.

5. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The tongue that clips into the slot on the rear bumper cover appears to have broken off for the most part. There is some play on the left side which I'd say is normal. On the right side that rectangular slot is completely exposed. I can push the bumper cover in and feel the nub on the tab catch but it pops right out when I release pressure.

Thanks for the camera advice. I'll try again tonight after playing with the camera settings.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had one come out during the winter, presumably due to the battering taken from driving in snow. I can't remember where exactly the clip came loose, but I think it was inside. It wasn't a big deal, AFAIK. A dealership fixed it during my 25k service.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Actually, on my monitor at work I can see it. A little dark, but ok. Think my home monitor (an older CRT) is set too dark.

8. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: Broken Clip in Right Wheel Well

I fiddled enough to get the camera to not take any pictures. After undoing some stuff I think this is the best picture I can get of the broken clip.

Since it seems like a simple job I'm calling the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice & sorry I flipped sides in the title.

Attached Files:

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Finally took a look at ours for comparison. That plastic piece serves as a sort-of mud flap. FWIW, I've tried to take that piece off, without success. I like to take plastic wheel liners like that out periodically, and hose out whatever's accumlated under them.

But this piece has little round capped fasteners (you can see one in your last pic) that have defeated me so far. Maybe they're designed to accept self-tapping screws, say if you add a deeper "true" mudflap.

Anyway, the only way I can see to release them without destroying them is by getting a pin in there, and moving the internal tangs one way or another. I've managed to release similar ones in the past, but these are tenacious. :rolleyes:

10. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I stopped by the dealer. Service Writer said they have to look at the underside before approving this as warranty work & they didn't have time. I have an appointment Monday PM so we'll see.

Those push pins are a real PITA. I'll have to remember to ask how they handle them.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just going from memory, I believe they're indicated in the Repair Manual as "non-reusable", or something similar. In other words, you have to destroy them to get them out.

I've usually managed to finess similar fasteners out, but not sure about those buggers: they may have to be drilled/torn out. I can't see the dealership mechanics being gentle with them at $80~90 per hour, too expensive.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, some of the anti-theft fasteners in the taillights are the same way.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh really? Because a body shop is proposing to remove our tail lights in a couple of days, in the process of repainting. Maybe I should give them a heads-up.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    See this. I'm sure they already know about them. However, the white fasteners aren't necessary for stability or for holding the taillights so my guess is most body shops simply leave them bottomed out rather than install replacement fasteners.

15. Rtrann9ball

Rtrann9ball New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Friends, having the same problem... can't find much info! any info on this? Updates?