1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken down on highway

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by milleniaman, Oct 1, 2013.

1. milleniaman

milleniaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Help!
    I pulled off I40 to check my tires. I was getting some side to side wobble. I didnt see anything wrong and restarting got no power only light was parking led very dim. After a while power was back. I started up to the red triangle. Now I'm sitting in ready mode not wanting to shut down. 4 bars
    Torque indicates no error codes

Advice?

2. milleniaman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am on an i40 side road with red triangle of death. After shutdown no power. Eventually came back and now in ready mode and red triangle of death plus orange car light. Torque shows no codes

Any advice?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check engine compartment fluids. If good, can you drive the car at this point?

If yes, then proceed to your destination and then arrange to take your car to the nearest Toyota dealer.
    If not, then call a towing service and have the car towed to the nearest dealer.

Good luck.

JMD likes this.
  4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you can reset the fault light with Torque. Have you replaced the inverter coolant pump?

With the car in Ready, check the coolant in the inverter coolant reservoir for turbulence. If no turbulence then a sign of failed inverter coolant pump. The inverter will overheat and shut down. When cooled down then it is ready to go again.

How far do you need to go?

5. milleniaman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I drove 4 miles to a better exit.

I suspect the aux battery. I cleared fault codes and warning lights went off
    Temps for inverter are normal. Main battery has 5 bars. So I wil continue on down the highway for now

6. milleniaman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just noticed that my clock reads 2:11
    Apparently a power failure occured
    My 2005 prius with 264k miles is due for an aux batt replacement soon

7. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

With 264k miles it's due for a total replacement. :)

JMD likes this.
  8. milleniaman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks JD and Patrick. Ive got 2 threads going the other is on gen ii main I'm an hour further down the.road. I did reset codes with torque and al is well. I suspect the aux battery. Temps all normal

Thanks again

9. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

did you check the aux battery using the method here on PC? what is/was the voltage? how is/was your battery?

10. milleniaman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi. Keno
    My test this am showed 12.2 and the 11.9 at the second step
    This is what I was getting 2 years ago when I was concerned about my mileage

My main battery also gets interesting Sitting 3 minutes in a drive in can run it down from 6 bars to 2. Another concern is that when the engine starts it only charges the battery about one bar then shuts off. This can't be normal can it? The delta V is normal between the modules

Thanks all

John C

N80IPS ? 4

11. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    3 minutes from 6 bars to 2? not good even with heat and/or ac on! how old is the aux battery? britprius has gone on record to say that the internal test can be off by as much as .5 v.

12. milleniaman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bought the car at 235k miles and have had good service
    As far as I know the batteries are original. I'll check tomorrow for a date n the aux

N80IPS ? 2

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The original 12V battery will have the date code in the center of the label on top of the battery, and you'll need to remove the battery hold-down bracket to view the six digit date code.

I suggest you replace the 12V battery now, given your voltage reading as well as your problem while on the road.

14. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Deleted post.

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

6 bars to 2 bars is as much as 20% of the pack's charge. Do you find it fills up the display quite readily when you brake? And empty completely when you accelerate?

There are times when a drop like that in short order are common. When you first start the vehicle the SOC will be off anyways, especially if there was a large temperature delta between when you last parked and when you started back up. It could just be readjusting and you really didn't have 6 bars to begin with, maybe only 4 or 5. There really isn't a way to ask the battery exactly what percent of charge does it have left. The Prius does its best to count all the charge going out, and all the charge going in. It knows what it started with and knows limited data on "if the voltage is X, then it must be charged to Y%" Inbetween, it is a guess really. And a lot of these things can be thrown off by environmental variations. So if this is an occurrence every so often, I wouldn't worry about it. If this happens every day, and you can repeat it every time you try, then this is a signal of imminent traction battery failure.

Charging 1 bar and shutting off is perfectly normal. The car tries to keep the SOC in the 47.5% and 57.5% range. This is the entirety of the "blue" area. If it gets low down to 2 bars, it will start up. Once it gets to 3 bars, and the engine is nice and toasty warm, the load is light enough to be acceptably managed by the traction pack alone, etc then the engine shuts off.

16. milleniaman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks Patrick. I jut wanted to hear someone who "gets it" more than I do say it!

6 bars to 2 bars is as much as 20% of the pack's charge. Do you find it fills up the display quite readily when you brake? And empty completely when you accelerate?

Charging 1 bar and shutting off is perfectly normal. The car tries to keep the SOC in the 47.5% and 57.5% range. This is the entirety of the "blue" area. If it gets low down to 2 bars, it will start up. Once it gets to 3 bars, and the engine is nice and toasty warm, the load is light enough to be acceptably managed by the traction pack alone, etc then the engine shuts off.

Oh. I see.
    Other than the aberrations already mentioned it has a tendency
    I did a test once against a curb described somewhere on line. With the pack as fully charged as I could get by using B mode, it discharged in place for around a minute before the engine started. The rate if I recall was somewhere under 30 amps. I could try again if this is a worthwhile test. Someone else reported 3x that duration with the test.

It doesn't empty and fill as radically as you describe but the tendency is there

N80IPS ? 4

17. milleniaman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In process of installing new Napa AgM battery I found the body ground screw loose
    Tightening that seems to have improved everything. My battery test showed 12.5v.and 12.0 with ac on low. I Also seem to be getting better mileage and more even charging. Travelling on level ground the soc ran in the green a lot then stabilized around 6 bars. The car runs quieter and easier. I had felt I needed new main and aux batteries now feel relief on both issues

I got this car with 235k miles at well below book value 2 years ago and it doesn't have a rattle though now has a squeak or 2. I'm ready to head back out on the interstate and try again

Thanks guys
    John C.

N80IPS ? 4

18. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, done. What model Napa battery did you buy and how much did it cost?

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good, does that mean that you left the original 12V battery installed in the car; or did you install the new NAPA battery?

kenoarto likes this.
  20. milleniaman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Patrick

I didn't install the battery which is called the Legend Premium by Napa
    It is 325 c.c.a. I don't know if it is a deep discharge and will not install it even though....

I still have problems with start up charge. The lights are dim and flicker then stabilizing enabling me to start. So I need to do more troubleshooting. Could there be some other component troubling me that you know of? I know you have great knowledge of Prius systems

Thanks
    John

N80IPS ? 4