1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken Hatch Glass

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 05DriftwoodPearl, Feb 19, 2007.

1. 05DriftwoodPearl

05DriftwoodPearl New Member

While parked on the street yesterday, a child threw a rock into the smaller glass on the rear hatch and shattered it. Fortunately, the child's mother was nearby and is admitting responsibility. It looks like either she or her insurance will cover the repair. Now I am wondering the best approach to have it repaired--dealer or generic glass company? Does anyone have any experience in finding this Prius glass part at other than the dealer?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, never heard of that particular piece being broken before. I don't think it matters much who you use to replace it, but I have to wonder if the local companies might have a harder time getting that particular piece since it's going to be a pretty uncommon repair.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It might help to get an estimate from both the dealer and a local glass place. That may help decide, especially if it's an unusual repair like efusco said.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Even if the non-dealer glass place has to get it from Toyota, it will be less expensive than having the stealer, er dealer, do it. In fact, most dealers call them to do glass, and they usually come and do it at the dealership.

Call around, as prices vary widely on glass repair. Here in Edmonton, I was quoted just under $1000 for a windshield by a dealer. Allwest Glass quoted $236 including labour, and used a stock part (indicated by the etched decal on it). They did a fine job as well.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are plated wires on that glass. Get the identical Toyota part.

Stealth up on the kid and blow your horn... Sorry, I didn't mean that, it was petty and mean spirited. Ahhh.