1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken Headlight Leveler Passed Inspection?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tom1l21, May 9, 2009.

1. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I went back to the local autobody shop that initially passed my inspection 2 months ago after finding out the auto leveler was broken on my headlights. I wanted to see if it did indeed pass inspection. I'm not exactly sure the requirements but it is something like from 10' away, the headlights have to be at 40" or something. My headlights were right on the level line and they said they haven't seen headlights so straight on such as mine. I saw it for myself too. My question is, even though my autoleveler is broken, is it possible that my headlights are indeed at the proper height and the short distance I cite (20-30') in front of me of lightened ground is just me not being used to driving a sedan (previously a Ford Explorer?)

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible that the lights are aligned. However, if you put a heavy load, or passengers in the back, you will probably get flashed by oncoming traffic. The levelers are to compensate for the rear of the car being lowered with load.

3. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I realize that is what the leveler is for, but I have have seen others express much satisfaction in their night driving after they have had their leveler replaced, leading me to believe that it is facing to low for me as well, even though it passed inspection. Not really sure if adding the fixed leveler would do anything to the current headlight level when I am just driving, that is what I would like to know. I have never driven a sedan before so I can't really compare the headlight level and visibility to anything other than a SUV which is higher up to begin with.

4. firepa63

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Typically when a leveler has failed, the headlights will be pointed very low. When it is replaced, the headlights should return to their normal setting (alignment). I would guess that when the leveler failed, someone adjusted the headlights manually to compensate for the low alignment. Therefore, when the leveler is replaced/repaired, the headlights will probably be aimed too high and will have to be adjusted again.

5. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I see, thank you. Do you know if the 06+ prii have the same system as the 04-05's? What I am talking about is the sensor, the metal bracket piece bolted to the undercarriage, and the plastic dog bone looking piece that is attached to the suspension? I'd like to either get it fixed from a dealer, or if they won't do it, grab one off a salvage yard, just need to know if they all use the exact same setup.

6. firepa63

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe all are basically the same (04-09). However, there were problems with corrosion with some 04s and 05s. Some owners replaced them. Others removed them and disassembled, cleaned, and reinstalled them. Do a search here on PC. I believe there are instructions to accomplish the repairs.

7. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah I read the repair guide here, but my prius is missing that gray dog-bone looking piece. It must have fallen off with the previous owner. That's why I was wondering about the year so I can search some salvage yards if my dealer won't take care of it.