1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken Map Light Circuit Board

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SDKPrius, May 7, 2013.

1. SDKPrius

SDKPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Guys,

While replacing the interior cabin lights with LED's (which btw look great) I ended up twisting one of the map light sockets and losing it inside the map light assembly... Annoyingly enough, while trying to reach into the map light assembly to find the socket, I broke a piece of the circuit board and now my entire map light system won't work... Ugh.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you happen to have a map light assembly laying around? All I need is the green circuit board that the three map lights connect to.

The map light circuit board is what hold the three map lights, it's white on one side and green on the other and seems to made of cardboard and has "Q7" printed on it.

Let me know if any of you have one... I'll obviously pay you for it.

Thanks!

PS. Does anybody know if gluing the pieces of the circuit board together would work? Would the electricity flow even though the pieces are glued?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No it wouldn't. But it is such a simple circuit, you could solder some jumpers over the broken parts. Just scrape the traces down to copper and it will take solder easily.

3. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. SDKPrius

SDKPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I ended up buying a complete assembly this morning on eBay.

Thanks

5. gorges

gorges New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    If you will try to connect the PCB of your light circuit board with the glue it would not work because glue is insulator and current cannot pass through the insulator so the better option is connect the PCB with glue but make a connection between the paths with the help of jumper wire that will solve your purpose.

pcb assembly

#5 gorges, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  6. MountainReadyPrius

MountainReadyPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

I recently bought an '05 Prius and it runs like a dream. A friend who has a Subaru turned me on to the idea of replacing the interior lights with LEDs. I got all the right ones (thanks to a similar post) and was able to replace them all successfully except the map lights on either side of the center one.

Let me say that these didn't work beforehand with the old incandescents in there. Naturally I assumed they were just burnt out. I have eliminated all the causes I can and I'm baffled as to why they don't work.

1. For one, they all run through the same fuse, so since the center light works, that can't be the problem.

2. I actually got two different brands of high quality 168 sized LEDs (Phillips and Sylvania) and I've tried each type of bulb in all sockets and even swapped housings. I can still only get the center light to work regardless of bulb type.

So basically, it isn't a fuse, bulb or bulb fitting in socket issue. I guess at this point it would have to be something with the wiring or circuit board itself? Any thoughts or quick tests I might do on this?

Many thanks in advance.

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would not approach this without a DVM in my hand, so if you don't have one getting one would be the next step. They are a cheap and useful addition to the tool kit. You can trace these kinds of bulbs, circuit boards and switches easily.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And then, when the digital multimeter is available, use that to see whether you have 12V from the center bulb terminal to body ground, with the voltmeter function. Then use the ohmmeter function to see whether you have continuity between body ground and the bulb shell ground terminal, when the map light switch is turned on.

Once you see whether the 12V or the ground connection is missing, then you'll have to investigate the wiring to see why it is missing.

9. MountainReadyPrius

MountainReadyPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Not sure if I have enough know-how for this type of repair, but if I do decide to try it I'll report back on how it goes.