1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken rear glass

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Amrz1203, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Amrz1203

Amrz1203 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone!! This happened to my 2015 Prius just two days ago. On the drive to work I heard a pop, but I didn't notice anything until I came back out from work 8 hours later. Large cracks on the sides of the lower rear tinted pane of glass where it meets up with the taillights and spidering throughout. Of course, as soon as I touched the glass, it completely shattered out in the center. Surveillance cameras were on my car all day and showed absolutely nothing.
    When I took it to the dealership they acted like they never saw or heard of this before (of course). Obviously other people have experienced it. To my knowledge Toyota is not going to cover this, even though the car is only a year old. Looks like I'm going to decrease my comprehensive deductible with my insurance company to zero and pay the extra $4 a month just in case it happens again. I'm guessing design or glass flaw. Shame on Toyota for not taking responsibility. Damage 1.jpg Damage 2.jpg Damage 3.jpg

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    it is likely a rock or something hit it while you were driving; your insurance company should cover some of the cost.
    also this is the gen2 forum. you should have but this in the gen 3 forum.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to say, that's really too bad.
    But I don't think it is something that is Toyota's fault. I've barely seen any threads where someone experienced this problem. Very rare.

If this was happening a lot? I have to think we'd have a lot more "what happened to my rear window" threads. And they aren't very common.

From the dealership and Toyota's perspective they have no idea how it happened. Glass can break. Unless you can "prove" it's the fault of a design flaw, they shouldn't cover it.

My only thoughts are since it's the hatch is it possible you slammed it down too hard?

Or a concern I have because I sometimes use a drive through car wash, are those top of the car brushes. Sometimes I worry about the pressure they put on the Prius's admittedly very horizontal hatch. I haven't had a problem yet, but whenever the brush reaches the back, I worry.

The problem is there are so many "Random Acts Of God" that could cause this problem, that it's really impossible to prove it's anything but something like that, that may of happened.

Good Luck, and hopefully once replaced it never happens again.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Heater wires are a factor too I think.

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Window glass is actually stronger than steel roof. So no need to worry about brushes breaking the glass. Only thing in a Prius that I would worry more than on average car is the rear spoiler. Spoiler could be pushed by the brush and start leaking (or maybe even break).

Sometimes bad connection on wires that connect to rear window heater can cause the glass to break. Newer seen (or heard) it happening on a Prius though.

6. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I'm NOT really too worried, it's not that I think the brushes could/would break the glass, it's more just the pressure of the entire roller on both the glass and as you say the spoiler. Going through the drive through car wash it has made some "disturbing" sounds.

Even in this case, It could of been pressure applied to the spoiler pressing down on the insert glass beneath.

In any case, I think there's too many potential natural causes that could lead to broken glass in this case to blame Toyota or define it as a design flaw.

Does the insert glass below the spoiler even have "defrost" wires? I don't think mine does, only the big window above.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome to the site.

That's just plain glass. Pouring hot water on cold glass is a good way to break it. May be worth filing a NHTSA complaint. If it was a design or installation problem I would expect a crack.

8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But if it was a design or even "factory" installation problem wouldn't you think we'd see many more of these type of threads?
    This doesn't seem to be a very common problem, which would suggest to me that it isn't a design problem, and "probably" not an installation problem.

Looked closer at mine, guess it does have defrost wires.
    I guess for me, it get's dirty so quickly that I don't really notice very often that it's fogged up.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Could OP's location (cold Chicago) have made glass more susceptible to breakage by flying debris?

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Or maybe cold temperatures (still warmer than here) caused more usage of rear window heater. Bad connection on the heater caused one spot to heat and heat expansion caused stress in the window. Window then shattered, because it had too much internal stress.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Electric Me, I agree that if the factory was responsible there would have been a rash of complaints. Maybe some of those X-Men were visiting Chicago.

The Electric Me likes this.
  12. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hate to think this, but is it a possibility that you were the victim of some turkey with a pellet gun?

13. 2013PriusOwner

2013PriusOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The same thing happened to my 2013 Plug-in. It was parked in 75 degree clear weather. I simply shut the rear gate and heard a strange "pop". It took a few minutes to notice that the black glass had shattered. It seemed as though the spoiler was somewhat moveable. I don't know if the broken glass caused the spoiler instability or the other way around.
    Anyone with similar experience?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

not so far...:unsure: