1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bruce Jenner Car Crash

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PriusGuy32, Feb 8, 2015.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So by now, you might have heard Bruce Jenner (been in media discussion a lot recently) was involved in a mult-car crash the other day, which subsequently involved a fatality. I noticed in the pictures and the story, that a Prius was involved in the crash too - I do not find that astonishing considering the amount of Pri in California; however, I was automatically curious to see if that Prius was owned by anybody here on PC. So come on, fess up, who is it? :D

Other than that, looks like the Prius sustained the least amount of damage in spite of being struck too, of what looks like to be a pretty ugly scene.

Moment Bruce Jenner crashed into car of '69-year-old woman' killed in pile-up | Daily Mail Online

#1 PriusGuy32, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm more amazed you have a busy 4 lane road (2 way) with no barrier in the middle. What's the speed limit? Even if it were 30 mph, that's a potential 60mph smash if you hit oncoming traffic, or 30mph if you're pushed into it as appears the case here.

I have no idea who this Mr Jenner is and why he's front page news on a UK website!?!, but I'd also question how hi res pictures of his vehicle before and after the smash have been released. If he's some sort of celeb you don't want paps flashing away with their cameras whilst you're trying to drive. These latest cameras a like strobe lights taking 15 flash pictures a second.

Whatever happened it's always sad someone doesn't come out alive.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I wonder if the latest braking technology would have changed the outcome.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its is very sad.
    Bruce Jenner is famous Olympic Gold metal decathalon winner in 1976.
    Then he had show biz life and married into the famous Kardashian family.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those pre-impact and mid-impact photos certainly challenge yesterday's 'no paparazzi involvement' statements.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    From The Daily Mail: "Sheriff's officials say the deadly pile-up happened after a Prius came to a stop in the northbound lanes on the PCH, a notoriously busy road, for unknown reasons.

It is said the Prius was hit by a white Lexus, driven by Ms Howe, which was then rear-ended by Jenner's Cadillac Escalade."

Sounds like a typical day of tailgating. RCC would have kept a safer distance. PCS would have reduced the impact.

GC, the photographer would be too far away for flash to be effective so I'm sure he/they weren't a factor.

"The highway was closed for nearly nine hours following the midday accident. It was later the scene of another collision after a driver apparently ignored the road closure tape and drove through police barricades.

According to KTLA, the driver crashed through the barricades after hurtling passed a patrol car with flashing red lights and slammed into the two wrecked cars which were being examined for evidence at around 6.30pm.

There were no reports of any injuries and the driver was handcuffed after getting out of his car and arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence."

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, looks like inverter failed in the prius. I bet Toyota will be blamed for that.

BTW, sounds like the victim was killed by a Hummer (or is it Hammer?). I always knew these things were deadly (to other people).

#7 Former Member 68813, Feb 8, 2015
  8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He had nothing to do with the crash, but unfortunately was part of it.

The past three months he's got a lot of attention in the tabloids, not the type if it were me I'd want.

9. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    With no video of the crash, I can only go by what the pictures suggest. The pictures do not show the wheels blur or extreme nose dive of the Lexus or the Caddilac which suggest either the pictures were taken using fairly high shutter speed or the vehicles were traveling at a low speed or Jenner didn't brake hard enough. But then again picture #5 shows the Lexus's front end raised up suggests the Lexus was rear ended at moderate speed.
    Pictures #3 and #4 shows the Lexus was positioned parallel to the yellow lane divider. What caught my attention is picture #5. It shows that the Lexus's front end was intact when it was rear ended by Jenner. This tells me that Jenner pushed the white Lexus into the on coming traffic and led to the head on collision that killed the Lexus driver.
    The article said a Prius was involved but There's no Prius in any of the pictures expect for a red Prius with brake lights on. It is the only picture with a Prius so I think it's one of the passerby and not the one involved in the accident.
    Edit: Nevermind I see the Prius in one of the video.

#9 cproaudio, Feb 8, 2015
  10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You guys know the person and the area better than me, but could this be a set up? Prius stops to slow this Jenner chap to a standstill so the waiting Paps can get their pictures?

Unfortunately he was otherwise distracted and rear ended the car in front which was thrown into oncoming traffic.

Why were the paps there? Was this outside the guys house? If not, I'd be questioning the Prius driver to find any links to the paps.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Freelance photographers have connections & hang out where they are most likely going to have a photo op. Get a tip this guy's going 4 wheeling and stake out the most likely route. Not all photographers are equally obnoxious.

Over 30000 people die on the highways here every year. 29999 aren't news. This one shouldn't be either.

12. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    And a few hours later an apparently drunk Chevy Volt driver ran through the accident scene roadblock at full speed and crashed into two of the cars involved in the original accident.

Phone Records Sought In Fatal Malibu Crash Involving Bruce Jenne - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

image.jpg

#12 Jeff N, Feb 8, 2015
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have plenty of these. While Interstate Highways are divided by a barrier or median, very many lesser roads are not. At least this road has a center turn lane separating the opposing travel lanes, even that much separation is not universal.

We simply don't have the resources to do all of the many safety improvements that appear necessary.

14. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ruh roh!! I originally posted this because a.) its been on the news a lot, and b.) there was a Prius involved. But NOW a Chevy Volt has to enter the mix too (those damn chevy Volt drivers are always trying to start trouble with us Prius people!) :LOL::LOL:

Joking aside, thats crazy!!

15. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oregon is larger than the island yer on, hard for anyone here to imagine barriers everywhere, to have to avoid...
    Kinda like aiming cattle I guess.

Everyone here knows Bruce, well everyone that watched him take gold, Google his present circumstances, things change;)

16. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Pretty much all the news medias have blurred out the old lady in the Lexus except this one. (Link removed) I don't wanna plaster the last known picture of the old lady alive here but I think she deserves better than blurred out pictures of her like she's a nobody.
    Edit: link removed because... just because

#16 cproaudio, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  17. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Viewing that picture, it was like I could "feel" being there... that ladys face had a look on it that really made me sad. :(

I have had friends and family both expire suddenly and I often wonder what their last thoughts were. Im glad I wasnt there because if their faces looked anything like the lady who died in the Jenner crash, it would FOREVER haunt me.

18. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Man, this is all really sad :( it's weird viewing a real crash in step by step high definition photos. I wish that lady would have hit a prius and not a hummer. Just two days ago me and my sister were witnesses to a car crash on the free way, the car passed us (driving the prius at a chill 74) at 80+ mph. He wasn't paying attention and slammed into a honda accord, swerved hit the 6 feet high center divider, flipped, slid across 4 lanes upside down and slid into a rock wall in the ditch. He was driving the last gen Toyota solara coupe. It was un real! us and a whole bunch of other people pulled over quickly, a gentleman used a piece of a boulder to smash the back window to get the guy out of the car. He was actually okay other than bad neck pain

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think most people agree that it is rude and crude for news outlets to have us remember someone by the look of terror on their face in their last moment of life. This one is too much like showing the expression on an ISIS hostage's face as a knife slits his throat, or painful flames start shooting up his fuel-soaked jumpsuit.

Let the family select a more appropriate obituary photograph.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at various pictures and maps and getting some perspective of their vantage point, it becomes clear that the photographer was 'hanging out' over the ocean a little ways off the beach. Probably from some sort of aircraft, most likely a helicopter.

Or some sort of boat, both tall enough to look down on the road (which is well above the beach), and fast enough to keep up with road traffic. I.e. helicopter.

So they were not following him on the road, but from alongside the road.
    More than half of them are news, locally. But no need to make it national or international news.