1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BS cnn.com headline

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Husker4theSpurs, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    go to cnn.com to see the video ...

In actuality Georgia computers can't process the test for the Prius, so it has given "failed" on its reports. The headline makes it sound like the Prius doesn't meet the standards. Guess they got me with the headline ... I clicked it. That's all they care about ...

:huh:

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like they were a bunch of idiots. Both CNN and the testing centers.

There is a little dance you go through to get the engine to idle all the time at certain RPMs.

The following is copied from the KB article. http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=5952

The following must be done within 60 seconds:

1)Ignition on (not READY mode)
    2)Vehicle in Park
    3)Step on accelerator pedal twice
    4)Place vehicle in Neutral
    5)Step on accelerator pedal twice
    6)Place vehicle in Park
    7)Step on accelerator pedal twice
    8)Place car in READY mode.....ICE WILL RUN continuously (see rpms below)

A warning icon on the MFD will be displayed.
    With less than 60% throttle applied.....idle is 1500 RPM (approx)
    With more than 60% throttle applied.....idle is 2250 RPM (approx)

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I don't know if CNN responded to angry Prius owners, but now the caption on their home page is "Georgia's emissions mess."

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In CNN's defense, the link on the front page as of right now says:

That sounds fair to me. It's clearly a contradiction, and a common ploy to get you to click-through as people say to themselves, "hmm, that's weird, I wonder what that's all about."

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Huh. My car runs fairly continually just by turning on the front defroster... :rolleyes:

6. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Lol

I feel for the driver but if you are going to require a vehicle be tested the technicians should know how to test the vehicle. I cant believe the techs would just go well we don’t Know how to test it so fail it. I hope they don’t get ev’s in that state because they would probably require it be tested and they would all fail when the tech’s cant find the tail pipe.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius: no good deed goes unpunished.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 16 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]424168[/snapback]</div>
    I can.

Its very cynical, I know, but I've actually seen this attitude in different but similar scenarios. Different = Bad.

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OMG! What a bunch of idiots.

Even our normally incompetent CA state bureaucrats predicted this and simply gave all hybrid owners waivers on emissions testing. And that's on top of not requiring emissions testing until a car is at least six years old.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Apr 16 2007, 11:00 AM) [snapback]423999[/snapback]</div>
    Since this isn't posted in FHOP I'll keep my comment to myself. In NJ testing is done with all accessories turned off. In this situation if the driver had the defroster on to keep the engine running, Goober would turn it off. If it wasn't a real problem for some people this would be really funny.

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 16 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]424168[/snapback]</div>
    Heh heh... this reminds me of what happened here in Ontario. The province introduced the Drive Clean program in 1999 as a means to reduce pollution. Originally, cars had to be tested every second year after they were 3 years old (now changed to begin at 5 years). Of course, sometime around 2003/2004 when the first hybrids on the market reached the age to become subject to the tests, it took the nitwits behind these laws some time to figure out how to test the emissions of a car that doesn't idle! :p

Within a few months or a year (don't recall exactly), Ontario ruled that hybrid vehicles are exempt from emission testing, thereby saving me $40 every two years (woohoo!).

Oh, and the early adopters who had to pay for the emissions tests on their Prius or Insight were refunded their money. :)

12. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    /lives in Georgia...

13. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I give some lawyer about 24 hours to file a class action lawsuit to recover the smog check fees for every hybrid owner in the state...

14. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Almost had this problem in Nevada. I had to be tested becasue I moved from California.
    At least the slack jawed yolkal at the Vegas testing station knew about Prius and just told me to pump the throttle to keep the ICE reving fro the test, and viola! I passed.
    I guess they must be first class morons in Georgia.
    (I already know CNN is full of first class morons, so no surprise at their telling of the story)

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Apr 17 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]424753[/snapback]</div>

AirCare must've taken note cause hybrid were exempt from the get-go. Now, it's cars older than 7 years (instead of 3) that must undergo AirCare.