1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Plate and Toyota Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by redrockprius, Mar 24, 2007.

1. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read lots of comments on this site about the positive effects of installing the BT Tech stiffening plate. Some have said that they have had local Toyota dealers perform the installation. The one topic I haven't seen is whether this modification affects Toyota's warranty. Does Toyota consider this modification one that might void their warranty?

2. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedRockPrius @ Mar 24 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]411553[/snapback]</div>
    Making a change to your car never voids the warranty on the entire car. However, it can void the warranty as it directly relates to the change you made.

As an example, lets say the bolts used on the BT plate ruin the threads on the car body that they are screwed into. Now, you can't claim that the threads are defective under the warranty.

However, lets say your front shock absorber fell off. Now, you can claim that defect under the warranty and Toyota would be hard pressed to prove that the BT plate had anything to do with that. So, of course they would repair that.

PS: the BT plate is not so stiff, that you could drive the car on the remaining 3 wheels to the dealership to repair that defective front shock absorber... OK??? don't even try it.... :blink: :D :p

3. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We have had numerous customers have their Toyota dealer install our BT stiffening plate for them without any issues. In fact, we currently sell our plates to several Toyota dealers!! :)

If you are really nervous you could always remove the plate in under 10 minutes but I think that would be totally unnecessary.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedRockPrius @ Mar 24 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]411553[/snapback]</div>

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Mar 27 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]413250[/snapback]</div>
    I think it really comes down to how nasty Toyota wants to be. Other manufacturers are downright hostile to modifications and will void your warranty at the slightest provocation (BMW is one that comes to mind). And, don't think that the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act will protect you from a capricious denial of warranty. To receive the "protection" of M-M, you have to file suit against Toyota. To take a lawsuit all the way through appeal will cost somewhere north of $150,000 in the S.F. Bay Area. For that amount of cash, you could get a Tesla. With that in mind, it would seem the best course of action is to practice an ounce of prevention - check with your dealer about their policy on modifications such as the chassis stiffener. If in doubt, swap out the BT stiffener for the factory stiffener before bringing the car in.

5. fboyle

fboyle New Member

I just got back from having my Toyota dealer do an oil/filter change and one of the techs noticed the bt plate installed on my car. Before I knew it there were about 7 or 8 techs under my car checking out the plate! They asked me about it and commented on the obvious quality. While they were admiring it I asked them if there would be any issues about warranty coverage with my plate installed. They said that they would not have any problem honoring my warranty because the plate was in place. One even mentioned that he did not even notice it if I did not point it out to him.

I gave them this website address as a few of the techs have their own Prius' and wanted to purchase the bt plate.

Frank Boyle

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 8 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]419847[/snapback]</div>

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fboyle @ Apr 9 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]420495[/snapback]</div>
    In my rather limited Toyota ownership experience (having been a Touring Edition owner for all of 17 days as of this post), I have noticed that the service techs at the dealership where I purchased the Prius are very mod-friendly. When I had ceramic pads and 4.5 kg wheels installed, the wheels got a lot of attention from the service techs - a number of the techs complemented me on finding wheels that were lighter than the factory wheels. My next project will be to put on the BT Plate and TOM'S Strut Brace. :)

7. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought this plate and when I was installing it accidentally stripped the bolts on the drivers side. So long story short I can't get the factory plate off. How much does the dealer charge to install the plate? I'm gonna put the other two bolts back on the factory one and take it somewhere. It's a pain in the nice person to get under the car especially since it's been in the 20s all week

iPhone ?

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here is another reason why "rustproofing matters."

If the car had rustproofing applied to the bolts, brake lines and the seams of the under body, this would not have happened. Penetrating oils would have creeped into the spaces between the bolts and the captive nuts inside the car's rails. Instead, over the years, wet "road salt" electrolytes have creeped in, instead. Therefore, the fasteners have rusted together.

I am not also in favor of the stainless steel bolts has a way of galling, especially when threaded into stainless steel nuts without aanti-seize compound.

Yo can attempt to apply penetrating oil NOW, but it might not work, depending how badly the bolts and captive nuts have rusted together.

On the alternative, for other users, my "box beam" brace is a newer technology and uses the OEM bolts.

Attached Files:

9. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    can't get the oe plate off? you mean you rounded the heads of the oe bolts? that's not such a big deal if you haven't stripped the threads.

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Heat always works. I often use an oxy-acetylene torch.

11. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm I'm not sure if rustproofing was there or not. I'm guessing not but it's not super rusty underneath. Since about 2009 the car has been outside 24/7 but it was parked indoors beforehand, if that matters. I just wonder why only the drivers side was so tight? How much does one of those torches cost? I'm leaning towards taking it some place just because it's so cold out and I don't have jack stands or ramps at the moment...for now I think I'll just keep the OEM brace until it thaws out a bit

iPad ?

12. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if you don't have access to a torch set, you might just want to pay someone to do it. if you've never used one before you might set you car on fire. a tall curb can work if you have no ramps, if you need to take a closer look at it.