1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Spoiler

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by djasonw, Dec 28, 2005.

1. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know why the BT Spoiler says BWM E46 on the application side? I discovered this because I was unable to properly affix the spoiler to my car. One side popped up and I removed the double sided tape. Underneath that tape is where I saw the insignia. I thought these things were custom made for the Prius. Why would it say BMW E46 engraved on the spoiler? I never was able to properly affix it even with special glue.

After installation I drove around and did not notice any difference. It was fairly windy the day I tried it. My feeling is that the stiffening brace is definitely worth the money, along with decent tires (I run Nokian WRs). The spoiler is merely eye candy and to me has no effect at all on handling.

I hope this spoiler is not just a painted BMW spoiler, but then how would it precisely fit the Prius?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I noticed the same thing on mine, which is still off. I have tried to reaffix it several times myself with a couple of kinds of glue and every time it gets cold (or when I turn on the rear defogger) it pops up on the ends. I now have the kit from Brian and I'm going to try that and see if it will stay.
    I actually did think I could tell some difference in tracking and in strong winds but I can't think of a way to do an objective test.

3. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I definitely am not going to attempt to put it back on. I tried the strongest glues and it still does not hold. I am nervous that it may fly off and fly into a car this is following me. I intend to throw it away and write it off as a loss. Still curious about the BWM thing. I am starting to think this guy simply found out that the BMW lip actually fit the Prius (odd though). I did a search and found that a lip spoiler for the BMW is $79!!!

4. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

if you have $35 (which includes shipping) ebay has your spoiler for sale if you wish to investigate.

5. popoff

popoff New Member

I drove round trip from western NC to Chicago at speeds in excess of 80 MPH.

I felt the car didn't buffet as much and was much less affected by crosswinds and trucks.

I too had the problem of adhesive failure (4-6") on both sides of the spoiler. Brian promptly sent me a primer and some extra tape in case the primer did not work. I was sure it was too late for the primer since the spoiler had been on for 3-4 weeks and the adhesive felt like there was no stick left. Lo and behold, the primer worked like a charm. I think you could now tow the car using the spoiler as the point of attachment.

I'd be curious to hear Brian's response to the BWM thing.

Thanks Brian.

6. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello guys.. With all the spoilers we now include a product made by 3m called Primer 94. It is an adhesive promoter that is applied to the glass so it makes the adhesive almost impossible to remove and provides a very secure attachment for our spoiler.

For those that purchased this part before we included the adhesive promoter we supply a repair kit for those that are having any issues with the ends of the spoilers staying attached to the glass.

The mold that we are currently using was the closest match for the curvature and this was the closest mold that we could find. Before anyone goes out and purchases a spoiler for the BMW please note that IT WILL NOT WORK. Our mold is significantly changed from the one that fits the BMW.

I have quite a few hours in testing and there is no doubt that the spoiler makes a difference in high speed stability of the car. This is NOT a "eye candy" type of mod but a functional aerodynamic part. If this part did not work I never would have offered it for sale.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

7. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glue will not hold it on properly. Did you receive our repair kit for your spoiler? If you use our repair kit and re-apply it to the back of your glass you will find that it will stay put and you do not have to worry about it flying off.

"This guy" did not simply take a BMW spoiler and stick it to the back of the prius!! Like I mentioned we are using a modifed version of the mold. If it makes you feel better you can always go out and purchase one on ebay and try to install it.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

8. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't do that. It is now deposited in the front of my house with all my other trash. BTW...I did use the promoter as you had designated in your instructions. I realize a BMW spoiler will not fit. Interesting is how much cheaper it is than your product. I guess you don't work on volume. That must explain it. As I mentioned before, at 75-80 MPH on a windy day (gusts to 30 MPH) I did not feel any difference. Perhaps the stiffening brace along with my great Nokian WRs really is all I need.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to be a neighbouring nabob of negativism, but if I bought something that didn't work as advertised, I'd ask for a refund.

10. londo-cat

londo-cat New Member

I received the spoiler with the 3M strip and the promoter, used them both, and also used the denatured alchohol to clean the strip of glass before installation of the strip.

One thing I might add is when applying the spoiler, is MAKE SURE IT IS CENTERED FIRST, because once you apply the 3m and the promoter, you'd damn near have to break the glass to get it off! I am sure there is probably some kind of solvent that would loosen it off if you really wanted to remove it though.

Now, it is on like it was bolted on now - so the 3M and promoter works as advertised. :D

Also djasonw, if you don't want your spoiler, let me know and I will buy it from you. No need to throw away something that can be cleaned up and installed on another Prius. B)

11. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry... had to break it in half so that it would fit in the hefty bag.

12. popoff

popoff New Member

Next time use a bigger Hefty Bag. :)

Brian might have even worked something out with you if you had just asked.

13. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's okay. He has to pay for his stock and I wouldn't want to burden him. It is very nice that he has made available these mods for the Prius. I can't even begin to tell you how effective that stiffening brace is. THAT is one mod every Prius owner should get.