1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Stiffening Plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AOV, Jul 15, 2007.

1. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Read posting that they have been installed on 2006's. Did Toyota make improvements for 2007's. Don't want to go through the expense if not needed. I upgraded the tires thinking that will make the performance better. Not sure what to do. Has anyone installed it on their 2007 and noticed the difference?

2. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Jul 15 2007, 08:06 AM) [snapback]479086[/snapback]</div>
    I've got an '05 and an '06, put BT Tech plates on both. The '07 will benefit from the BT Tech plate, there are no changes to the body in general except in the Touring Package; and the Touring has little besides its suspension kit that would improve overall stiffness.

Not all who install the BT Tech plate notice a difference. I notice, my wife does not. Then again, she pays more attention to conversing with our teenage son and NPR on the radio; I pay more attention to the ruts in the road and the traffic around me. It's easy for me to shift focus to notice little changes in the car's behavior; the car's not an issue to her until something really big changes. When I upgraded he balding stock 185/15 Integrity's to 205/16 ComforTreds, she noted the rims looked like a better theft target, but that was about it.

If you noticed a performance or behavior change with the tire upgrade, you'll probably notice a change with the BT Tech plate too.

3. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I noticed dramatically improved tracking, stability and wind resistance with both the plate and tire/wheel upgrades on my 2007.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh no! Not another BT Plate thread! :blink: Okay, I'm being overly dramatic, but when you ask if one is needed on a 2007, that belies the bigger question of whether the BT Plate is needed on any Prius. We have filled up megabytes of forum space debating this issue. It's all subjective until one of us does a thorough double-blind test, or better yet, puts some strain gauges on the OEM plate (I may do this).

Tom

5. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobdavisnpf @ Jul 15 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]479105[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the tires made a huge difference, felt it immediately - upgraded to 195/60R15 Goodyear TripleTreads. Hmmm, didn't think I could go with 16". I also took off the rings off the wheels....I think (and its only my personal opinion)...it looks ten thousand times better, not so plastic-y.
    Thanks for your input.

6. mtm

mtm New Member

I added it to our Touring model and did not tell my GF. Couple of days later she asked if i did anything because it was more steady during the gusty winds. She did know that i had a plate but she didnt know when I was going to put it on. So I will say yes it works!

We also upgraded to 17s 215/45/17 General UHP tires about a week after and WOW what a difference!

Gas milage hit? I am guessing maybe 3-4mpg...maybe! The trade off is worth it in my opinion and hers too!

The factory weight was 34.6lbs (rims & tires) @ the ups store. I am guessing the weight of the scion and uhp is @ 37-38lbs.

From what I read the touring tires are 19lbs and rims are 16.1lbs so total is 35.1lbs...I am guess UPS scale was off a little.

JON

7. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We actually sell more of our BT Tech plates to owners of 2007 Prius' more than any other model year!!

8. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

I put one on my 07, I think it made a difference, even if it was only in my head! lol

9. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put one on my 2007 too. Car now seems more resistant to cross winds, and corners better.

The other thing to do is have the alignment checked. Mine was off, that also improved the tracking and now stops straight. I can hardly wait until my OEM tires wear out, so I can get some real ones. :p

10. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Jul 16 2007, 10:21 PM) [snapback]479988[/snapback]</div>
    Since its been mentioned that one can do this job themselves...can one really? Does one really need a torque wrench or can one do without it? I definitely don't have one in my tool box.

11. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Installation is very easy and can be done with ordinary hand tools. A torque wrench is recommended but if you do not have one you can simply use a 3/8" ratchet and snug up the bolts good and tight.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Jul 17 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]480213[/snapback]</div>

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Jul 16 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]480015[/snapback]</div>
    Did you attach the plate to your 07 or your head? :lol:

Tom