1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT tech plate review on my 07 touring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fboyle, Nov 7, 2006.

1. fboyle

fboyle New Member

This is my first time posting on Prius Chat but I feel that I needed to let everyone know how pleased I am with a purchase I made through the Prius Chat online store.

I recently purchased a 07 Touring Prius and before I took delivery I was already looking for things to help improve its ride and handling. I did a lot of reading about the BT Tech chassis stiffening plate and read what seemed like volumes of information on it. After all of the glowing reviews I decided to take the plunge and placed my order. To my amazement I received the stiffening plate only one week after I placed my order.

The plate was packed very professionally and included 4 stainless steel bolts, washers and a installation sheet. What I found really nice was that all of the stainless steel bolts had a thin film of anti-seize grease applied and protected by a piece of tape. All I had to do was remove the tape and the bolts were ready to be installed.

The BT stiffening plate is really a beautifully made part. I could tell right away that it was CNC machined and a great deal of attention went into the design and production of this part. All of the edges were nice and smooth and the installation holes fit my car perfectly. The plate is also finished in a hard coat anodized finish with a smooth texture.

Installation was relatively easy and since I always change my own oil I already have ramps that I used to put my Prius on. Once under the car I was able to remove the stock plate and install the BT Tech one. What amazed me most was that the stock brace was really flimsy and I could actually bend it in my hand if I applied enough pressure to it. I proceeded to install the BT plate and torque the stainless bolts as indicated as per the instruction sheet.

Immediately I could feel the difference by installing this plate after driving a short distance down a familiar road. The car has a more solid feel to it when driving over poor road surfaces and has much better highway tracking than before. The rear of the car feels much more solid and planted than the wiggly feeling that it had before.

I have owned a lot of cars and have done modifications to almost all of them. This is by far the best and cheapest mod that I have ever done bar none. At first I was skeptical but relied upon all of the glowing reviews of this product. Well now I am convinced and am glad I listened. Add me to the list of people that love this product.

Summary: 1-10 (10 being best)

Product Quality: 10+

Ease of installation: 8 (I had to get under car and I am not as young as I once was)

Results: 10 (could not ask for better results)

Price: 10 (150.00 for this type of part and the quality is outstanding)

I hope that some of you found my review helpful.

Frank

2007 Touring

2. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fboyle @ Nov 7 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]345218[/snapback]</div>
    There must be something in the BT Plate packing material. You as well as 90% of those that have purchased the BT Plate are obviously hallucinating. On the other hand many of those who have never tried the plate, maintain their sanity and explain that the plate could not possibly work. :rolleyes:

Seriously, Frank, welcome to the Forum and Prius ownership.

3. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I believe it works but also believe a normal driver can't feel the difference as they claim. If you drive the Prius like you would to save fuel then you will never notice any handling improvements with this plate. Those that say they do are experiencing the Placebo Effect. Now if you drive like RacerX then maybe you might notice an improvement. Either way at the current price of the plate it is not worth what you get. If the price was down to say $100 or maybe even $120 then I would say yes.

4. fboyle

fboyle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 8 2006, 01:01 AM) [snapback]345310[/snapback]</div>

I am not sure how to respond to you but I can assure you that I do not drive like Racer X as you put it. The BT plate made a huge difference on how my car rides and handles compared to the original factory plate. I can honestly say that there is no placebo effect here. If the BT plate did not work or I did not notice any changes in the car i would have stated so.

I feel that the plate is a bargain even though I did not get it during the current 20 dollar off sale. I conisder myself to be somewhat frugal but this part was worth every penny to me.

Frank

5. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fboyle @ Nov 8 2006, 02:15 AM) [snapback]345319[/snapback]</div>
    And how would you know it wasn't the Placebo Effect?

The only way to tell is by driving a Prius not knowing whether the plate was installed or not. This effect is very real and I have experienced it first hand. As I stated before the average Prius owner, driving to save fuel and not stressing the vehicles body will never feel what this plate can do. Why? Because the positive effects of this plate won't come into play from light footed driving. You have to stress it, to feel it. Other than that the OEM plate is more than capable.

6. fboyle

fboyle New Member

The statement you made can not be further from the truth. Prior to me installing the BT plate I could feel the rear of the car jiggle on certain types of road while driving at a normal speed. These are roads that I travel on every day, After I installed the BT plate, this sensation is completely gone. I have owned many high performance cars and I know the handling traits and when there are changes made I can detect such changes. If I felt for one second that the BT plate did not improve my car I would have voiced my opinion openly here without hesitation.

for you to say that one will not feel a difference unless you drive the car like a racer is upsurd and shows me that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Frank

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 8 2006, 01:46 AM) [snapback]345329[/snapback]</div>

7. fboyle

fboyle New Member

8. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 7 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]345310[/snapback]</div>
    I know JUST how to respond --

Either try it yourself or STFU! (No, that's not a college...)

9. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You know, almost word for word the review reads like a cut-n-paste from either BT Tech's post, or some other posts, for good or bad.

I want to know why we aren't pushing Toyota for a TSB for the obviously dangerous and faulty plate they've been shipping for the last 2+ years.

After all, they tweaked everything on the suspension including the spoiler, struts&springs, rollbars on the Touring version. Why did Toyota forget this very important plate holding the exhaust tunnel steady?

10. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 8 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]345310[/snapback]</div>
    Quite an expert, for not having one?... if its worth 10.00 bucks and the trouble of even climbing under the car, its worth 160.00 if it does anything at all.. let alone what it does in fact do.

Some folks just won't believe fat meat is greasy!

You really miss out on a lot in life prejudging so black and white and adamantly before you even try!,,, Especially when there are so many witnesses against your prejudgement that own the plate....

whos the bigger fool?

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fboyle @ Nov 8 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]345319[/snapback]</div>
    Ah.. common Frank, we all know you must be of limited intelligence to counter what the skeptics already know without even trying the plate?.. and you obviously are easliy hypnotized too which only shows your weak mind and small abilities to not see a bargain, and not to mention, your obviously just having a dream because this all just could just not be true from a mere plate that only cost 150.00?
    Oh yea.. I forgot to mention.... you must be a chronic liar too, to lie over something so trivial that doesn't even pertain to you personally.. especially when your not getting paid for what you say?
    Your obviously just an idiot with no sense at all and why should anybody listen to you????
    Have you spoken with your doctor about checking into the insane asylum?... there may be hope for you there away from the real world????
    The only other option I can think of is to just shoot yourself and put yourself out of your pitifull delusional misery?????
    Hey, but the good news is that at least your pleasantly demented and happy in your little world, and therefore you shouldn't harm anyone around you, so we shouldn't have to imprison you or anything!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you know I'm kidding! :D

Maybe Brian should just raise the price to 1500.00 and they would buy it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pious @ Nov 8 2006, 01:12 AM) [snapback]345339[/snapback]</div> So your gonna let some guys wife determine whether you buy a car or not?

Some women are very acutely tuned into thier car, but many others, you could remove the whole undecarraige and they would not notice till it stopped dead in its tracks or made so much noise they couldn't hear it over their radio!

Is this the definitive test and Empirical data you skeptics have been looking for?

Thats the beauty of skeptics and why its not worth trying to please or prove anything to them... they already know everything and only accept stories that confirm their unbelieving heart.

There is nothing wrong with questioning, but there is something wrong with "pre" judging.... hence the word "predudice".... not too accurate in most cases.

This guy made a whole web site address dedicated to what his wife thought in a blind test?....

I am constantly amazed at the progress of genius in the mind of a fool.

13. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Nov 8 2006, 03:22 AM) [snapback]345342[/snapback]</div>
    Give me the money to buy the plate and I will try it or you STFU!

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Nov 8 2006, 02:09 AM) [snapback]345346[/snapback]</div>
    I"m with you on that one.... when I bought the prius, I gained tremendous respect for Japanese enginneering... I don't know why they have missed this one...Maybe the answer is.. they are not perfect, or they aren't worried about it..or like someone else said.. just 5.00 extra dollars spent on the sales of 200,000 cars is a million dollars extra... who knows?.... I don't know.... but at least Brian is there to fill in the gap until they figure it out.

15. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 8 2006, 06:49 AM) [snapback]345358[/snapback]</div>
    Actually I am, as I have had similiar products like this on other cars in the past. None have improved handling enough that the average driver would notice.

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 8 2006, 05:14 AM) [snapback]345362[/snapback]</div>
    If you can't afford it.. thats one thing, but its not fair to imply its only worth whats within your budjet!...especially since you admitted you would buy two if the price was lower....

I know thats a typical negotiating tactic to downgrade the worth of an object your trying to buy, but I don't think it will make Brian give you a special exception nor lower the price of all of them because you've "convinced" him they are not worth that much.

You must really have allot of confidence in your persuasive abilities! :lol:

How about buy one and make sure it works, then when you get more money buy the other one too?

Would you really buy "two" plates if your not sure about it.... is it only about money?

17. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't twist my words around, it is insulting and is not what I was saying at all. I stated I would try the product for myself if the price was lower. I have no buying tactic in mind, I just don't want to waste money on the chance that this product that may or may not do anything to the handling of my Prius based on my driving habits. Since we own 2 Prius, I thought if I bought 2 plates that might lower the price even more, so I could justify the cost.

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 8 2006, 06:07 AM) [snapback]345371[/snapback]</div>
    It doesn't... at least haven't heard of any multiple discounts... thats thought though, but few families would ever buy more than two at a time... I bought two at once.. but for 160 each....

giving you the benifit of a doubt... "something you won't give the plate".I don't understand why you would buy two of them if you have all that much reservation at all... even at a cheaper price... to get screwed once is bad enough, but to get double screwed, well.....

Never fear... the plate is fine.. but if your that hesitant.... wait a while till you have more coins.. if its not worth it for one, its not worth it for two even more.. but on the other hand, if its worth it for one, then two is twice as good.

The plate is really cheap.... try buying a set of wheels and see what happens... epecially if its machined aluminum.

Its a worthy investment for very little cost that last the lifetime of the car and if you ever upgrade prius's and Toyota is still being goofy, you can swap plates!

19. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 8 2006, 07:07 AM) [snapback]345371[/snapback]</div>
    I love it when you guys talk trash!

Isn't it strange that Fboyle (original poster on this thread) described the exact same change in handling when the changeover to the BT Plate was made. There have been so many threads and posts on this subject that I doubt that he read my original statement. Maybe it's part of the mass hysteria effecting us. Could we BT Plate owners be in the grip of an alien mind meld? Or maybe, putting it politely, it's bottom to bottom communication. :rolleyes:

Speaking of bottom to bottom communication:

A Congressman was once asked about his attitude toward whiskey... "If you mean
    the demon drink that poisons the mind, pollutes the body, desecrates family
    life, and inflames sinners, then I'm against it. But if you mean the elixir of
    Christmas cheer, the shield against winter chill, the taxable potion that puts
    needed funds into public coffers to comfort little crippled children, then I'm
    for it. This is my position, and I will not compromise!"