1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening Plate does not improve ride

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by John in LB, Jun 1, 2007.

1. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After reading so much about the BT Tech Stiffening Plate... I decided to get my hands on one and to test it out. I have been driving around with it on the car for a couple of weeks. I have had the car for 9 months with 20,000 miles... so I definitely know the ride of my Prius without a plate.

My conclusion is the plate makes absolutely no difference in the car's ride or handling. I mean zero. This is from a personal driving point of view (the feel - as many of you call it) and from a measurement point of view.

In terms of how the car feels, both my wife and I have been driving the car and neither one of us can sense any difference. We drive the car on hilly roads as well as freeways and neither of one of us is a timid driver.

In terms of measurement: I jacked up the car and supported it on 3 out of 4 points; leaving the rear left wheel completely unsupported. I then had my wife (weighing in at 125 lbs) sit in the rear passenger seat (on top of the unsupported point). I had her jump up and down and observed whether there was any deflection / distortion of the chassis around the area where the BT Plate was mounted. There was absolutely NONE - not even the slightest amount. The whole car flexed an inch or so... but not at the location of the BT Plate mounting.

Below is a photo of the BT plate taken from the passenger side of the car. If you look carefully, the 2 bolts on the driver side of the BT plate are flush with the plate - as they are tightened down. In comparison, the 2 bolts on the passenger side (closest to you in the photo) protrude about 3/8" of an inch... and they are not supporting the BT plate at all. As you can see, there is ZERO gap between the plate and the body of the car. If the plate was helping make the car stiffer, I would have expected a gap towards the rear of the plate. Although you can't tell from the photo - when my wife was jumping up and down on the seat, there was no movement between the plate and body... further proving no bending of the frame at the specific location of the BT Plate.

[attachmentid=8443]

As a side note: the plate is very nicely machined and is definitely stiffer than the original plate (only in terms of a bending moment - the original plate is just as good in tension). However, it just does not affect the car's performance in any way at all.

Finally: I am really surprised of the outcome, given how adamant some of the other chat members were about the benefits of this plate. Given the absolute testimonials that were being provided - I would have thought some degree of benefit would have been evident.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

John, you just opened a very large can of worms LOL :lol:

I did not buy the plate as I did not think it would do anything.
    I am glad to hear another honest opinion.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Interesting point about the flush bolts. I'm gonna have to go out when it stops raining and look under my Prius. As opposed to John, who's opinion I entirely respect, I must respectfully disagree. I can tell a real difference in the ride before and after. The picture of the bolts make me wonder if yours is installed correctly...?

Regardless, you could probably sell your plate if you don't want it....

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here we go, again.

5. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has anyone ever done a truly objective test of the BT Tech Stiffening Plate? I'm not talking about "seat of your pants" feel, but real hard data. Test the same car with it and without it on a skid pad and let us know what the results are. That is the only way that this debate will ever truly be over. Until then, it is just opinions, and you know what they say about opinions...

6. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

I don't have the plate and have never ridden in a car with the plate, however from this honest post and another where the user setup a blind test on his wife... both outcomes resulted in no "real" difference. However, everyone who has bought one has realized a "perceived" difference in that they feel that the ride has improved do to the $165 upgrade to their car. Perhaps a kind of compensation to make the money spent worth it. I believe that in itself may be enough for those who have purchased the plate. For the rest of us, it is probably best to just put that money towards a different upgrade.

that's my 2 cents.

7. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jun 1 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]453657[/snapback]</div>
    Rangerdavid I believe you missed the point of the loose bolts. He intentionally left that end of the plate unsupported while his spouse jumped up and down inside the vehicle in an attempt to cause deflection that the stiffening plate supposedly fixes. What that picture is proving if all other parameters are as stated is that the plate is playing no role whatsoever in stiffening up "chassis flex."

Expensive bit of kit.

John - never underestimate how strong the powers of a shiny placebo are - hope you brought a flame suit along with the testing and pictures! :)

SFO likes this.
  8. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Voodoo adviser asks the following questions to the OP:
    Did you install the plate during full moon?
    Did you use a torque wrench?
    Did you had the car facing east when installing the plate?

'cause my plate made a difference after I followed the above <_<

9. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wife blindly noticed the difference. I was on curvey roads tonight and really appreciated it. I think it may just depend on how sensitive ones ...umm, butt is. Then again, I did install mine using a zircon encrusted torque wrench under the moon lighty night.

Robin

10. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jun 1 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]453657[/snapback]</div>
    Hello Ranger David

As you know, the findings by John in LB are similar to those which I reported a while back. I am especially interested in the expereince which you report as you are clearly a substantial citizen.

I have a challenge for you if you can and will take it.

If there is a person whom you trust to touch your car who will remove the BT plate at a time which you will not be aware of, arrange to do that and see if you notice that the BT plate is not present by the change in ride of your car. I have driven extensively with no plate installed on my car with no ill effects so I do not see that as a problem.

If you haven't noticed after a few days, the point has been made and you can put it back.

How about it? This could be your contribution to the well being of truth.

11. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robincx @ Jun 1 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]453735[/snapback]</div>
    There you people go! Plagerizing my full moon statement on the other BT plate thread. No Fair!

12. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One of my main concerns is that we purchased an '07 Touring with "stiffer" suspension......... if the BT PLATE makes only a "marginal" difference (or if any as some claim) in the NON-Touring Prius, then will we feel little or no effect in the TOURING models ????
    It's ironic because I spent the $165 last week (May 23rd) and I'm very anxiously waiting for it to arrive (BTW- "order tracking" sux!!) so I can install it and TRY IT....... actually my Wife does 99.9% of the driving so SHE would be the one to tell if it REALLY WORKS or we wasted our money. Believe it or not, she has gotten very used to the new Prius (although always still learning new tips and techniques) and she is very "aware" of the handling characteristics since she drives the same route, same back roads and highways (almost down to the same lane) every weekday !! Believe me, if it DOESN'T work well "I" will definitely hear about it................. <_<

13. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Like I said above, until someone does a truly objective test and collects some hard data, discussions such as this are simply conjecture. Spending $165 automatically biases your opinion. Who knows, maybe the "improvement" you think you are feeling is actually attributable to your now lighter wallet.

14. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi John in LB,

The test you performed has been hashed over in another thread. If the Prius was a block of wood, and you slapped a plate on, the test would be valid. As the Prius has a roof, and is hollow inside (ie, not a convertable car) the test is not appropriate. The roof is in tension during the test, while during driving the forces can put roof in bending and buckling modes.

15. Houston

Houston New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jun 1 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]453630[/snapback]</div>
    It seems odd to me that an outfit like Toyota would negelect to install a $165.00 item that supposedly made such a difference in the handling of their product.

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Jun 1 2007, 08:32 PM) [snapback]453759[/snapback]</div>
    Come on. Quick complaining. Everyone know plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.

Dave M.

17. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Jun 1 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]453759[/snapback]</div>
    Actually Syclone, while I admire your full moon statement, it merely served as a trigger for a different source of plagerism, the phrase I unabashedly stole was from Frank Zappa. :D

18. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... yeah.. can of worms

On the 04 prius (mine).... the change is obvious. on an 06 model it's obvious... but less detectable.

it would be much easier to just change out the rear shocks.. and springs.. they are too bouncy anyways. the front end follows pretty well.. but the rear hatch gives no support and twist with the bouncy rear end.

btw.. try tightening those bolts. they all go flush.. you just need to tighten them... *sigh*

19. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Jun 2 2007, 08:12 AM) [snapback]453892[/snapback]</div>
    These are the relevant posts:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken Stewart @ Apr 24 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]429069[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken Stewart @ Apr 24 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]429398[/snapback]</div>

20. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello John,

It appears that you were sent the wrong sized stainless washers with your plate that prevents the two bolts that are not flush from making proper contact with the body. All of the bolts should be flush with the plate in order for the plate to make a correct mechanical connection with the body of the car.

Please PM me with your shipping info and I will ship you out the correct replacement stainless steel washers right away.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Jun 1 2007, 05:54 PM) [snapback]453562[/snapback]</div>