1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bubbling sound from left passenger seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by desertprius, Aug 6, 2009.

1. desertprius

desertprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with 60,000 miles on it and about 1000 miles ago I started hearing an intermittent bubbling sound coming from the left rear seat area. It almost sounds like the car is percolating coffee (but no coffee smell or any other smell). It occurs only when the car is in motion, but it seems to have no association with road bumps or going faster or slower. It has no association with how hard the throttle is deeply the throttle is depressed.

I did a search and read through some of the comments regarding people hearing similar sounds, though most described a sloshing which is not what I hear, I hear a bubbling type sound. Most commonly it was suggested that there was water trapped somewhere in the trunk area (not entirely sure where) from rain storms. But I live in the desert, and I park in a garage, and my car has been rained on all of twice in the last few months (I've been wanting what we call an Arizona car wash which is a lot of rain that washes the dirt and dust off your car but have not gotten one). While we do get the occassional rainstorm there are lots of times when we are so dry water molecules never get a chance to consider condensing much less staying for a while. The bubbling sound was present in that driest season when our dewpoints were below zero. And finally I have gone to a car wash once in all the time we have owned this Prius (and never again because they didn't get it clean and let a smoker drive it) and that was at least 6 months ago.

The place where I've been taking my Prius to be regularly serviced (not a dealership but has a certified Prius mechanic) has mentioned that they would like to replace the inverter coolant pump at around 60,000 miles. They also mentioned that they like to change the coolant for the battery and/or the inverter (can't remember if it was one or both, I was in a hurry and didn't write it down) at around the same time. Estimated cost for these services somewhere around $650-$700. The car has been very reliable and has needed only oil changes the whole time, but I'd like it to last another 60,000 and then some, and I don't want to get stuck, especially at 108 degrees on the highway.

Is it possible that this bubbling sound is a sign of impending trouble from the inverter coolant pump?

Is the service station just trying to make a buck on an unneeded repair or is the inverter coolant pump a legitimate concern?

Could this bubbling sound be due to any other problems with either the hybrid battery bank or the inverter?

Is this a completely benign sound?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The inverter coolant pump is located just behind the driver's side headlamp. So if you are hearing a sound from the rear seat area, that is not coming from that pump.

Regarding preventive replacement of that pump, I think this is a good idea but 60K miles may be too soon. I think 80K miles would be reasonable. The inverter coolant should be replaced when the pump is replaced. The battery does not have coolant.

Back to the sound coming from the rear seat. Are you familiar with the sound that the traction battery fan makes when it runs? The fan does not run all of the time. Although the fan normally would not make a bubbling sound, perhaps this is what you are hearing.

Besides the fan, the only other components located behind the rear seat worthy of note would be the rear shocks, the traction battery, and the fuel tank. The shocks might make noise when your car is going up & down on bumps. The battery normally should be silent unless the system main relays are opening and closing. However if the relays were opening at a time that they are not supposed to, then a DTC would be logged. The fuel tank also should be silent.

I can't say whether the sound is benign or not, not knowing its source. Perhaps you might pull up the rear seat cushion and lower the seat back, to see whether you might hear the sound better and enable you to pinpoint its source.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try windows-open and find a stretch of parking lot or road next
    to where you can have a wall on the left for a while. Run the
    car past it and listen for a better take on the sound bouncing
    off the wall to you. Try to determine if it might be tire
    or wheel-bearing noise... not that wheel bearings should be
    going at 60k, but wno knows. Worn/cupped tires could easily
    create that sort of thing, though.
    _H*

4. desertprius

desertprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, to both of you, will give all your suggestions a try when I get a chance (may take a few days). Tires is interesting thought, I did replace the original Integrities with new Michelins about 4000 miles ago, hmm yes that would fall into the right time frame. The sound does not appear to vary with terrain. I could have the service station rotate the tires and see if the sound moves ... Traction battery fan, interesting idea, I live on a dirt road I'm wondering if maybe somehow a pebble or two could have gotten in there and be bouncing around when the fan turns, that might make an irregular bubbling sound. However I don't hear it at stop lights at all, which I would think would eliminate the fan so long as it also turns when the vehicle is stopped. But this might be worth looking at just in case. No problems with the running of the car, no indicator lights, and I'm getting 54mpg.

Anyway thanks again, some good thought and I'm relieved to know that it is unlikely to be the inverter coolant pump, also for the timeframe on replacing that.

5. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I seem to recall someone found that some water had managed to get into a void below the rear seats during heavy rain. Might be worth checking to see if that's the case for your car.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, and along those lines maybe the OP should remove the folding hatch floor, the black plastic tray with the spare tire jack, and the spare tire to see whether there's anything in the spare tire well. Then leave those items out of the car and see whether the noise either goes away or else becomes easier to pinpoint. That might provide more clues about the noise's cause.

7. 4plasticfish

4plasticfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have this exact same problem with my 2005 with 80k miles. The sound seems to come from the rear seat battery vent. Any idea of what to take apart to try and locate this sound? This is a new sound for sure. I have driven the car daily for over three years and just started hearing this noise ten days ago. Nothing else appears wrong with the performance of the car.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it's coming from the battery vent, then that's the part to disassemble. Instructions can be found on this site.

Tom