1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bug in speedometer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by llapoma, Mar 1, 2017.

1. llapoma

llapoma New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today while driving to work I noticed a spot kind of blocking one of the numbers on my speedometer. Upon further investigation it's a dead bug. I first thought it was in the area just in front of the glass, but it's behind it. No clue how it got in there since all the videos I've seen show that the area is pretty well sealed up. I'm pretty comfortable taking most of the dash apart as I've installed a 3rd party bluetooth hook up to the radio, but is there any way of getting it out of there without taking the entire dash apart?

2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The odo display you see is projected, and if you take a closer look you'll see the little window from which the image projects on the horizontal plastic in front of the vertical dash display transparent plastic. Maybe a toothbrush, small paint brush, vacuum cleaner, heck, microfiber cloth, could wipe that critter off the projector window.

llapoma likes this.
  3. llapoma

llapoma New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I'll try it.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it's behind, you pretty much have to take it all apart. I've had two Gen 2 dashes apart to clean the speedometer displays. Not really hard to do, just a little tedious. I found a great video showing the step by step for replacing the displays that was a huge help.