1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bug in the speedometer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edrum, Jul 24, 2004.

1. edrum

edrum New Member

I have a bug in the speedometer. A real bug, not a software bug. Somehow it got behind the plastic window, and I don't know how to get it out. Any ideas?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :crazyeyes:

Just as I start to think we've heard everything possible and are beginning to repeat ourselves with this car someone comes up with something totally original!!

I'd probably start with a vacuum at the forward most areas of the dash and see if you can suck him out of there. Short of that I think your dash will need to be taken partly apart. I'll leave it to others more experienced than I to describe that process.

3. pino

pino Junior Member

You may or may not know this, but the speedo display you see is actually a mirrored image being projected from the base of the dashboard. If you look at the dashboard and follow it up to the display unit you will see a rectangular area that can accumulate dust, lint, and yes, bugs which then will reflect on the speedo/gear indicator display.
    I cleaned the car dash and some lint from my cloth ended up on the "projector" and I freaked for a second because it seemed to be in the display itself. Hopefully this is your case as well.

Best,
    Pino

4. edrum

edrum New Member

Well the bug was gone this morning. Looking at the speedometer closer, I see what you mean about the mirror. It's not obvious at first.

I wonder how you would keep that mirror clean. I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about it.

My wife was mentioning last night that there is a green light that shines on the windshield right in the line of site of the driver above the speedometer at night. I'm wondering if there is some glare caused by the LED unit..

5. Batavier

Batavier Member

I'm not sure (don't own a Prius yet), but I've read something on this board about that glare. I think you need to turn down the dash lighting a notch or two.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont think the dash display is adjustable.

7. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    It certainly is, in the UK-spec vehicle. It's the rightmost of the three pushbuttons underneath the multi-display (with hazard lights and odometer being the other two). Short presses cycle through the four brightness levels (day, 1, 2, 3) and long presses toggle mph to km/h and back. Be aware that it only has an effect when your lights are on - when they are off, th e dash is always in "day" mode.

8. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The gauge display is in fact adjustable on all North American Prii. Just above your left knee on the dash behind the turn signal is a thumbwheel that will adjust the lighting intensity of the dash and MFD display (but it only operates when the headlights are turned on.)

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ooooh that is what that is for

cool. learn something new every day!

10. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No problem! Glad I could help :)

11. PriusNoob86

PriusNoob86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just wanted to thank those for the info about the mirror. I thought I got a leaf caught within the speedometer screen compartment, but it was simple sitting up on the dash and the display screen was catching its reflection.