1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Build me a computer

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Nov 26, 2005.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, nerds and nerdettes (hey, if the shoe fits...),
    Here's the challenge:
    I have about $500 with which to build a new computer. Maybe $600 but it had better be good.

Ever since my first computer so many years ago, I have built my computers. Now that my current computer is getting old and slow, I want a new one. A few years ago, I could throw out technology, brand names, clock speed, overclocking strategies, and compatibility schemas until you were blue in the face. But thanks to Moore's Law, I don't have a freakin' clue where to start.

I have a monitor that kicks a lotta butt. I have a keyboard, mouse, scanner, printer, three hard drives, two CD/DVD/RW drives, a half-dozen floppies, USB expansion ports, etc. (you get the picture). All I need is:
    Box
    Power supply
    Mainboard
    CPU
    Cooling system
    RAM
    If I'm missing something, then I need one of those too

Looks don't matter. I don't need see-through plexi with internal neon. What I do need is room for at least two hard drives and a CD/DVD. Make it fast with gobs of gHz, give it at least 512 Mb RAM, and a high FSB would be great.

This computer is going to last me a long time. So make sure that the parts are interchangable in the event that I want to switch something out in a year or two.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I know and trust newegg.com but if you can swear by the service and products of another vendor, I'll trust you.

2. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

3. mspencer

mspencer New Member

This is a difficult question to answer. There are lots of available parts to build a computer with, and a little bit of overhead in your budget to make some things better, but not all things. If you tell us what you plan on using the computer for, we might be able to give you better advice.

Without that advice, I'm with Wayne. Have you considered a Dell?

Since you want space for two drive bays, will you be buying both drives with part of your budget?

Do you need lots of storage?

Will you be using your PC to watch movies? Capture / convert / encode movies?

Will you be using your PC for games? Computer games add a LOT of requirements.

4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Can't go Dell. The day after it shows up at my doorstep, I will crack the case open and start tinkering. Of course, that would validate the warranty.

I used to game. A lot. I don't anymore. I might want to play a game of Lemmings sometime, but nothing heavy.
    Video: I have a TV card that I'm going to throw in, but the computer will not serve as a television replacement. It's only because I got tired of spinning around to watch tv while I was balancing the checkbook. I do not edit video.
    Graphics: I used to do heavy graphics stuff. That went away. I don't even own a decent graphics software anymore.

Storage space: Like I said, I have three HDDs. 60Gb, 40Gb, and 30Gb. I have space. I'll hook them up myself.

The computer I get will be absolutely overkill for me right now. But in five years it will be dead on. And in seven years I'll look to replace it.

5. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

You're going to get a warranty on a do-it-yourself? Adding cards and hard drives won't invalidate your warranty. Oh well, at least you can use them as a value comparison. :)

What interfaces do your existing hard drives use?

6. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interfaces? Have I been away so long that they've changed it? Just the standard ribbon cable. They are all Western Digital drives. Never worried about interfaces before.

7. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Yep, there are lots of interfaces now. Let's rephrase the question -- tell us what your existing system is, so we can know better how much of it can be carried forward. What speed, processor, etc.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    dont get a Dell. they are lame. sure cheap...cant build one yourself for what they charge. but they are built to reduce support costs and maintain their rep for stability which translates to LAME.

whats worse is that they are set up so you cant really unlame them.

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The sytem that I have now is going away. Completely.
    I mean the box, not the monitor, keyboard, mouse, printers, scanner, and speakers. I'm keeping those.

Here's what's carrying forward from the system:
    Hard Drives
    CD/DVD/RW
    External modem/speaker phone
    Television cable card

Start from scratch. If you price me a hard drive, for example, I'll just remove it. No biggy.

10. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Yes, but if you tell us what you have we can guesstimate the interfaces to the hard drives and other components... You want to still run them, no?

Is your scanner SCSI or parallel? Doubt it's USB or Firewire...

Printers networked? Or parallel or serial? Again, doubting much higher tech...

11. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not on the system now. But I'll try. I built it about seven years ago.

Mainboard: ABIT BX2r2
    CPU: Intel Celeron 466 (not the flat chip but the slotted perpendicular card-type)
    HDD: I hope you understand that I'm not going to yank those out and look at them.
    Scanner: USB
    Printers: Dual ports on the board (one on the MB, one plugged in)

What else do you need?

12. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Looks don't matter. I don't need see-through plexi with internal neon. [/quote]

:ph34r:

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol:

sorry...

:)

Welp, from what I read/understand so far, I would suggest only three general things (and it falls well within your price range):

1. An Athlon 64 bit processor series,
    2. An ASUS motherboard
    3. Some sort of wireless device card/ possibly built into the mobo. (this sort of depends upon where you live, but also wireless networks and peripherals are popping up everywhere, and it gives you flexibility should someone else in your house want to share your internet connection, or you want to add some wireless peripheral in the future. On top of that, if it already isn't, it is the future)

As was mentioned before, it really depends upon your usage. Since you don't seem to play games anymore, you don't need anything fancy like my dual video-card set up... B)

Oh yeah, I concur with newegg, most of my PC parts were bought from them.

14. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

You have to understand you have asked us to design a computer that can accommodate several old components, but you aren't giving us a lot of information about those old components.

From what I've heard, I think you have a system that's on par with an Intel Pentium II 450MHz with a 66MHz bus, so you probably have an ATA-66 hard drive/CD bus and some PCI slots. These are important to know so we can support your existing hard drives and television cable card.

Most new motherboards should still be able to support the old PS2 mouse & keyboard interfaces, which is what I'm sure you have.

Your scanner is USB, so you'll need at least 1 USB slot for that.

I didn't understand your printer reference, but let's assume you are talking about two old-fashioned 9-pin serial ports. Ugh.

I'm assuming your external modem/speaker phone also uses a 9-pin serial port. That's three ports, which makes me wonder if my assumption about your printer(s) is true. Three is slightly unusual. I would hope with this new setup you'd go broadband, and jettison the external modem/speaker phone, which means you will need Ethernet.

Hopefully, your monitor won't limit your resolution, but if it does, you can replace it later.

I'd say start with what Mystery Squid suggested, making sure it can accommodate all the legacy stuff you want to bring along.

Or, you could just jettison the old stuff and go all new (like a cheap off-the-shelf system). Of course that might have a pretty big cost impact too.

P.S. -- 'Squid, love that cool tower... :D

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    BUY A SYSTEM:
    The Best Cheap PCs . . . under $500 (November 2005)
    Be sure to click on the “comparison table.â€
    <a href=\'http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1880390,00.asp\' target=\'_blank\'>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1880390,00.asp</a>

The winner:
    Compaq Presario SR1620NX Desktop PC
    <a href=\'http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00472092&lc=en\' target=\'_blank\'>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...c00472092&lc=en</a>

16. Bionic

Bionic New Member

Ok just a few things:
    You will get a warranty on your DIY comp, as a matter of fact you will get a separate warranty for each part.
    Don't get a Dell, they use proprietary components (and sizes) to make you upgrade at a massively inflated price from them. They also have incredibly bad system cooling
    If you are moving your HDDs, you'll have to be careful, because Windows might not like such a huge hardware swap all at once. You'll either have to run a program called SysPrep (not easy to learn) or do a format/reinstall on your windows drive.

That being said, here is a rig I've put together using your specs:

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $113
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136152

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Venice) 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor $201
    >Includes HS & Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103533

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit $113.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145450

Throw it all into an
    Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Computer Case $94.99
    >Includes 450W PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811129155

And it comes to $522.98

I didn't include shipping or Mail-in-rebates, so hopefully those will cancel out

You didn't mention video cards, besides your TV card, so you might need one of those as well. You'd probably be OK with one of these:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon X700 121SR Video Card - Retail $104
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102591

but that puts everything over your limit. I included a pretty high-end MOBO for you since you sound like you know something about overclocking, and that board will definitely be able to handle it. If you don't feel like OCing, you can probably change that to an ASUS board with a few less features and be just fine. Make sure to check the available ports on the board to make sure they have something for your external modem, if you're going to keep using that.

This setup is probably more than you need right now, but I feel like it never hurts to go a bit overboard and have something that's a bit more future-proof

I'll be glad to answer any question's/comments :)

17. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow. I had no idea things had changed so much. It's almost sad: in '92 I graduated with a B.S. in Computer Science. Today I can't even shop for a new computer.

Mouse and keyboard are both USB. My current system has two USB ports and I bought expansion ports. The modem supports my dial-up and can go COM or USB. I tolerate dial-up because it's cheap and will switch some day but today is not that day. Tomorrow's not looking good either. ;)

Why would they change the way hard drives interface? Can you show me pictures of this new interface? I've just always plugged the HDD into the ribbon cable, set it to master or slave, told the computer to auto-detect and off I went.

The two printers was just an evolution thing. I bought a laser printer a long time ago and more recently bought a photo printer. I wanted access to both so added a printer port to the board and plugged one of the printers into that.

For the record, I also bought a CyberSiig dual Com port card to facilitate additional hardware, but I think it was since become unneeded.

Boy has Pricewatch changed. It's nothing like I remember from years gone by.

I've had bad experiences with Compaq. Perhaps it was just the way they used to be, but there were extremely proprietary devices, wacky plastic pieces, and I just didn't enjoy it. In the end, I'm trying to avoid name brand systems. Had the same problems with old Gateway systems.

I own Windows XP Home and therefore don't need an OS.

I'm not sure how to decode the Athlon CPU models. Jeez, the more I read the more confused I get. However, when out on Pricewatch, I just clicked a few systems that got my attention:
    http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.as...DTP25GWCEL306OS
    http://www.partspc.com/ProductDetails.asp?...42&ProdID=14761

And yeah I know I said that looks don't matter, but this one does look pretty cool:
    http://www.unitedmicro.com/sysw.cgi?25011157

I've thought it over and decided that in the end, if I NEED to buy new components in order to catch up with technology, I'm fine with that. New modem, new tv card, whatever.

[Edit]
    Some people might be wondering, "why the three hard drives; just get one big one."
    I have experienced my share of drive crashes and OS crashes and unrecoverable errors. So now I have my primary master and slave with XP installed. About twice a year I swap the master and slave so that the slave becomes the master and I start clean. Then I reformat/install the new slave. For some reason, the board fails to recognise the master and boots to the slave. No biggy with a fall-back OS.
    The secondary master HDD is exclusively for data storage, music, backups, etc. I could lose both primary drives and not lose much data.
    [/Edit]

18. Bionic

Bionic New Member

The new interface that many HDDs are moving to is SATA. The connectors and cables are very different (something like this, although not quite):
    [​IMG]

You definitely have drives that will use an IDE cable, which is fine. I haven't seen any motherboards yet that don't support IDE still

19. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ok I will try.. cheap.. down and dirty..

I have this mb and have had no problems:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136147
    Now this does not have the new fancy pants PCI-E just a plan old AGP 4x-8x but the cards can be had cheep.
    New video just in case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814133151
    have this card (I paid on sale with rebate 129 from Frys) should have done newegg.

Memory:
    http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/confi...tor_search.html (put in your MB)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145440
    I would get 1Gb for Windows XP's

Processor (I like the AMD 64) :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103424 full retail and three year want. Get the fastest you can afford.. you will want it with Windows XP ;)

Case is users choice.. I like antec, they seem to have good power sply.

without case I think this well under 500... I did not keep up with the cost.. sorry..

Have fun...

20. Bionic

Bionic New Member

I would DEFINITELY get a PCI-E compatible MOBO. AGP is a rapidly aging dinosaur, and you'll probably have real issues upgrading down the line without replacing the whole MOBO/Vid Card combo (that's the spot I'm in right now, actually). Also, socket 754 seems to be on the way out as well, so once again you'd have upgrade issues

The MOBO pjm linked to is essentially the one I posted above, just AGP instead of PCI-E and the different socket.

The Value Select memory would probably work fine for your purposes, so that would help a bit on the cost. I agree that you should get at least 1 GB of memory