1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

building a trolling motor battery from prius packs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by walleye seeker, May 13, 2012.

1. walleye seeker

walleye seeker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone tried this . im tired of buying batteries every 2 years.

my trolling motor is 24 volts

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have no idea how you would charge them. I suspect you will need to charge each one separtely with a charger designed for NIMH.

In a Prius, they never get less than 40% or more than 80% charged, if you hope they last long, you will need to enforce this in your application.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You couldn't use a whole Prius battery for a 24V system without inverter electronics, so you would end up splitting up the pack and using individual modules. If you are willing to do that, you would be better off buying NiMH batteries directly.

Tom

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Three modules in series gives you 24v when fully charged and about 21 when discharged but not deeply enough to risk the modules. The battery would then have only about 3-4 Amp Hours of usable capacity. You can put groups of modules in parallel for more capacity, but that has to be done very carefully. I suggest that you consider getting a 24 volt LiOn battery made for an electric bike. For example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-10A-E-B...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d0b2118f

JeffD