1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumper Applique - I don't want it and they put it on!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Freedom, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I got the sticker for my car. They have added several items I did not ask for:
    - alloy wheel locks
    - first aid kit
    - cargo net
    - rear bumper applique

I "think" I can say I don't want the first 3 and they can remove and take off the $. What do I do about the applique, anyone have any ideas? I was planning to get the rubber one, and I never discussed any of these items with the sales person or anyone at the dealer.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    make them refund that too.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can have them remove the applique, but I think the cargo net has D rings that were installed by drilling. They can remove the net, but not the rings.

Since you asked for NONE of it, pay for NONE of it. Have them remove what they can.

4. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

agreed!

5. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I doubt they will do much, its part of the deal you bargained for, the price you negotiated, unless you negotiated for a lower price, and by the time the car got to you, it was added at the port. If its not part of the price you negotiated, they may play with you, but they may also just give them too you at the negotiated price also, those items aren't really that costly to the dealer.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you get a list of all dealer/port-installed cr@p when you paid them?

7. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't paid, the car isn't even HERE yet. It is on the ground and on the way, due to arrive at the dealership between now and Sept 9th.

I negotiated a price, I have a deposit and a purchase contract for $X. That is lower than what they are telling me, so I had them email the sticker. That is when I see these 4 items listed, which I did not ask for.

In addition, they have gone up from $X to MSRP. That is a separate issue and I doubt I can get them to budge on that. The manager already called and told me I could have my deposit back, I'm not required to buy the car at a price I don't like.
    Separate issue.

I want to at least save the $220 for these 4 items they added without my request / agreement!

8. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was told that the cargo net didn't require drilling. The lower attachments are the rear cargo tiedowns; the upper ones screw into something...

Note that mats, cargo net and first aid kit are a specific PIO package; it costs the same as the three separate items (in case they try to tell you that it's a special package and can't be broken down).

9. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might want to think twice about the cargo net. I have used mine a lot. When it would be in your way, you can just un-clip it on one side and toss it over into the recess on the other side and it will not be of any bother to you.

In fact, I have both cargo nets. The other one is the spider net that attaches to the four d-rings at the corners of the cargo area. I use it too, but not as much as the vertical one.

Just my opinion. :)

10. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    X2 on the cargo net. You will use it!

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

If you have a written and signed contract for $X and have placed a deposit, then they can't charge you anything in addition no matter what they do to the car.

I agree about the cargo net. I use mine all of the time and I have the spider net too.

12. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Correct! However, if the dealer pulled a slick one, the "contract" is written on his terms and may not require the dealer to sell at the agreed upon price. As they say, the devil is in the detail. The OP may want to reread his contract.

However, if the contract states this car with these options is at this price ..... well then the OP is absolutely entitled to the agreed upon deal. This, of course, included the bump up to MSRP.

I would fight for your legal right to buy this auto at the price it's under contract! :)

... Brad

13. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  14. bushface

bushface Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My car came with 4 "d rings" from the factory. One "d ring" in each of the lower coners in the back area.

15. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The 4 D rings in the rear area are there so you can tie down a full size tire after you put on the space saver spare (since the original tire won't fit under the floor). The cargo net kit adds two more rings about a foot up the sides of the hatch opening.